Things Don't Always Work Out as Planned: This Is Life

"This is Real. This is Life. This Is Us."

54
NBC Universal

We all have our own stories and our own unique pasts. That is part of the reason why we as humans, are so diverse. There are some stories that will only affect us slightly, barely altering our lives as they wave by. While other stories may change our lives completely causing us to briefly believe that the world is coming to an end. Despite what the changes in our lives are, who they involve, or when they happen, the most important thing to remember is that this is life. It will go on. You will survive. It is up to you how you will respond and adapt to these changes that are inevitable. My favorite quote ever is, "There are three solutions to every problem: accept it, change it or leave it. If you can't accept it, change it and if you can't change it, leave it" — (Unknown)

There is a new series on NBC that came out this fall called “This Is Us”. First, I would like to note that if you do not already watch this heart wrenching and irresistible show, I highly recommend it. It is a great family series that will keep you guessing and begging for more. It is about four seemingly very different and random individuals that all turn 36 on the same day. A loving and hard working husband with a very pregnant wife, a wealthy businessman, a woman struggling with her weight, and an actor that doesn’t seem to enjoy his work. Each character is living their own lives, dealing with their own problems, and yet they are all somehow connected. Every episode you are clued into more information about these characters’ pasts, their stories, and how they all intertwined.

There are many instances in this show where each character is dealing with sudden changes that are thrown their way. Isn’t this how life is for a lot of us? I know that I sometimes feel like as soon as I get through one problem, another one is thrown in my face. There are a lot of lessons that I have taken away from “This Is Us”. Not just from the story itself but from each character. One of my favorite quotes thus far was said by Dr. Katowski (Dr. K), a character that you are introduced to shortly into the show. He says that “you have to take the sourest lemon that life has to offer and turn it into something resembling lemonade." I try to think of this quote every time I face a problem that I think I can’t handle. No matter what changes or problems that you may face, you must try to find the good in each situation. There are plenty of other things I have learned from this show and I would like to share them with you:

Be sympathetic. Every person is dealing with their own set of problems. Listen, learn, and offer advice.

Be honest, not only with others but with yourself. Something might not be going right for you right now, but that doesn’t mean you have failed. Remove the toxicity from your life and keep moving forward.

Be open to new ideas. Don’t focus on what “would have, could have, or should have been.” You never know what opportunities could be around the corner. Keep your eyes and heart open.

Finally, Be thankful. You are blessed and you are loved. Remind the important people in your life that you love them. Lean on them when things don’t work out right away and before you freak out about your next school problem, relationship problem, family problem or any other difficult situation.

“This is Real. This is Life. This is Us.”