This Is My Body

This Is My Body

And It's All Mine

13
This Is My Body
Adriana Pinero

Every body is different. Some are short. Some are tall. Some are curvy. Some are skinny. Some are voluminous. Whatever category your body falls into, there is one thing that it will be no matter what- yours. Some people have their insecurities, I certainly do, but as I’ve gone through life after high school, I’ve realized that should just enjoy the body that I have and accept its shape as is.

Don’t get me wrong… I have never hurt my body purposely, but that never stopped me from thinking about how I look despite all the positivity I usually emit around others. I’ve been around so many body types and I’d be lying if I said I never compared myself a few times.

But you know what? I’ve come to realize that I only have one body and it is the way that it is. It may have its flaws and it have its limitations, but it is mine and mine only and it’s no use comparing it or hurting it out of pure envy or low confidence.

In fact, instead of dwelling on what’s wrong with one’s body, more people should step up to the plate and celebrate what it can do. After all, everyone is unique.

Not sure how to start? I can help.

Grab a mirror and sit down in front of it (or stand if you need to). Look at your face. Study it up close then tell yourself one feature you like about it whether it’s your eyes or your smile or your skin or your eyebrows… whatever you appreciate most about it. Now move on to your top half. What do you like there? Your hair? Your arms? Your neck? Your midsection? Pick one… or more! Remember, celebrate what you love about it. Finally, move on to your bottom half. Do you like your butt? Or your thighs? Or your legs as a whole? Or even your feet?

Once you’ve picked your features, tell yourself, still in front of said mirror, “This is my body.” It’s such a simple phrase yet so powerful because that is what it is. That is your body and no one can change that. You can work with it, exercise it (if you so wish to), push it, rest it, do anything you can with it. And if you run into a limitation it has, accept it and use its strengths.

“This is my body,” you say.

Yes. Yes it is.