4 Things You Need To Know About Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and an estimated 10% of women have it. Do you know how it affects their lives?

1050
Smart Fertility Choices

Have you ever heard of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? It may surprise you, but it is very likely that you or a woman you know has it. It is predicted by most scientists that 1 in 10 women has PCOS but a huge number go undiagnosed until later in life or even completely. This is how PCOS affects me and many others:

1. Losing weight is very difficult.

PCOS causes the body to not process carbohydrates well. Scientifically, this would’ve been a favorable trait in the very distant past because women would’ve been able to keep weight during winter months when access to food was extremely limited. Today, food and shelter are easy to come across and therefore it is now a syndrome rather than a great trait to acquire.

2. Feeling like your body is disgusting.

Personally, I still have acne, my weight seems to fluctuate when I eat even one french fry, and my facial hair is extremely noticeable at times. These are all such embarrassing things to talk about but it’s so important to recognize them. Tons of women have these issues but we never discuss it because they’re not seen as acceptable for females. If you’re around me, you’ll find me talking about my acne and facial hair on a regular basis because I want these things to be able to be talked about. No one should feel alone or stigmatized.

3. Taking birth control is not just to prevent pregnancy.

One characteristic of PCOS is that LH and FSH levels (hormones) can be basically the opposite of what they should be, so many with this problem will choose to go on hormonal birth control. This has regulated my periods and my acne has begun to get somewhat better. Sadly, this isn’t an option for many because the side effects are too intense. For me, some negative things are that I’m beginning to experience the typical side effects of periods for the first time at age 17. My acne gets much worse during my “time of month” which makes me super self-conscious. Also if I ever want to get pregnant I have to go off of the only thing that’s keeping my body somewhat normal. Birth control is a pain but for many of us with PCOS, it is necessary.

4. No one knows what PCOS is.

Even though it is so common, hardly anyone has heard of it. I feel as though it is my job to educate people on the subject so they can be informed and just in case they’re experiencing some of the same things I am. You are not alone.

If you think you or someone else you know might have PCOS, here are some tips that have helped me tremendously:

PCOS Tip #1: GET A GREAT DOCTOR.

Not everyone has access to medical care, but many women’s clinics could help you. Just make sure you feel comfortable around your healthcare provider and they are informed. This is a highly sensitive subject, and you need someone you can trust.

PCOS Tip #2: LIMIT CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE.

Let me tell you, this one is so difficult, especially as a college student who has primary access to dining halls where the food is based in bread, potatoes, sugars and pasta. These are all the things I’m supposed to avoid. I’ve only been in college for four weeks but by strictly following this low-carb diet (and with a lot of extra walking), I’ve already managed to lose 10 pounds. All my friends ask me how long I have to follow this diet and sadly the answer is the rest of my life. Since there are only treatments to this syndrome and not a cure, if I stop this diet any time soon, it is likely that my weight gain will go exactly back to where it was before I started the diet, and that is something I am definitely trying to avoid.

PCOS is widely misunderstood but I’m writing this in hopes that it will help someone in some way. I am a 17 year old, 230 pound, college student, and my experience won’t apply to everyone. But that’s just it: my experience. So, I urge you to look around for other people’s experiences and see how they view PCOS. It affects so many people in so many ways and my story is only one take on the syndrome. If any of this applies to you, talk to someone you trust about it. Being diagnosed was one of the biggest turning points in my life. It’s hard, but I will get through it, and you can too.