10 Things You Don't Realize You Miss About Your Hometown

What you love about the place you were so ready to leave.

1022
North Pointe Community Church

You've completed finals and you've survived the semester. Now it's time to head home to your friends and family. Whether you're from a small town or a big city, there's nothing like going back to the place where you grew up. Here are ten things that you didn't realize you missed about your hometown until you're actually there.

1. The familiarity

You know every store and every street name. This place has been burned into your memory and you didn't even know it until now. Being away from home has been weird because everything seems so new and unknown. Returning to your hometown feels safe and familiar. It's nice to escape the unknown and enter a world that feels natural to you.

2. Little hangout spots

Whether it's your favorite coffee shop or boutique, your hometown has spots that could never be replaced. Being back in your hometown means you are able to return to these spots and experience the happiness they can bring. It's nice to be able to go back to these places that you've missed over the past months.

3. The food

For months you've been counting down the minutes until you can eat at your favorite restaurants again. Those pancakes from your favorite breakfast place have even been showing up in your dreams. When you come back to the place you grew up you can go to all of the restaurants you obsessed over in high school. Home cooked meals are a whole other thing. You no longer have to eat the food at the dinning hall and your debit card will suffer because of it.

4. Seeing familiar faces

When you're away from home almost every person is a stranger. Returning means constantly running into familiar faces. Whether it's your neighbors, old teachers or just family friends, you are surrounded by people you've known for years. It makes you feel comfortable and happy but at the same time all the questions about how things are going in college may get annoying.

5. The reminiscing about old times

You're driving with your best friends around town and every spot brings back a memory. "Remember when we all made a beach on the senior patio and then ditched first block to go eat breakfast at that restaurant," you'll say to your best friends as you pass that place you ate at almost every weekend. Being home means telling old funny stories and remembering all the fun you had when you lived here.

6. Knowing your way around

When you were away you were constantly using the GPS because you had no idea where you were going. When you're home all you have to worry about when driving is what music is playing. You know exactly where you are at all times and going somewhere is a breeze.

7. Getting good sleep

Since you've been away from home you have not been getting good sleep. Beds in dorms are uncomfortable, you're stressing from school, or you're out with friends. When you're home you're bed is ten times more comfortable and you have no school assignments hanging over your head that may keep you up.

8. Having a clean bathroom all to yourself

No shower shoes? No disgusting showers with random people's hair all over the place? AGAIN, NO SHOWER SHOES? When you're home you have a clean bathroom all to yourself. If you don't have one to yourself, at least you're sharing it with people who you actually know. You can finally take showers and go to the bathroom without somebody standing right next to you.

9. Hanging out with your best friends

You've been gone months without your best friends from high school. Being home means that you can be reunited with all of them and get into shenanigans. You can hear all about their new lives and the memories they've made. It feels so good to be reunited with the people you practically call family and it makes being home so much better.

10. You feel at home

You've said for years that you couldn't wait to get the heck out of here. You waited for so long to leave and never look back. But as you enter into the town you've called home for so many years, you can't believe you ever wanted to leave. This is your home and as much as you love where you live now, this place will always have a place in your heart. You realize that you're surrounded by memories and love and that there truly is no place like home.

After being away for so long you begin to realize all your hometown has to offer. You realize you've always taken this place for granted. Now that you're home you realize that your hometown will always be a place to run to when you need kind and familiar faces, good food and friends that will be there for you always.