'Sierra Burgess Is A Loser'? More Like This Movie Is A Loser

I recently watched the Netflix movie "Sierra Burgess is a Loser" and I have to say I was not a fan. As I was watching it I just started to get mad at what they made these characters out to be. First of all Sierra Burgess, the main character in the movie was the "loser" because she didn't have great style, was in the band and was smart. (At least that's what I picked out from it.)

Wait, what?!?

OK, first of all, it was evident that Sierra struggled with her body image, which is understandable. The thing is though you don't have to have the perfect body, you can still dress like a queen!!! They didn't have to make her wear baggy clothing or unflattering sweaters. Also, her dress at the end was terrible, while she had to wear this dress that was not-age appropriate for her, Veronica got this wear, of course, a classier dress. It just didn't make any sense to me, they could have dressed Sierra in so many better outfits that were fit for her body type.

Also, when it came to all the cruel things that Veronica would say to Sierra why would she just stand there and take it?! I would never just let someone just throw all those hurtful words at me and take it. I would stand up for myself, but no because she was the "loser" she had to stand there and take it. Yes, Veronica had a really bad home life, but that doesn't give her the excuse to just shoot back at people every day.

It was sad, not encouraging, when Sierra had to hide herself when Jamey thought she was really Veronica. She was so afraid to show him who she really was because she wasn't like Veronica, what is that even teaching people who watch this movie? Is it teaching to hide who you truly are because you don't think you're good enough?

Basically, I just don't think this movie gave an overall good message about life in high school, how you should treat yourself and how you should let others treat you. It was unrealistic and at the end of the movie, I received no good message out of it.