Sierra Burgess Is A Loser Gives Teens The Wrong Message

'Sierra Burgess Is A Loser' Portrays The Wrong Message For Teens

The new Netflix Original film romanticizes catfishing.

83
Sierra Burgess Is A Loser Netflix Image
Sierra Burgess Is A Loser | Netflix

In the newest Netflix Original, "Sierra Burgess is a Loser," Jamey (played by Noah Centineo, known for his role as Peter Kavinsky in "To All the Boys I've Loved Before"), asks for the head cheerleader, Veronica's (played by Kristine Froseth), number. Instead of giving out her number, she gives out the number of Sierra Burgess (played by Shannon Purser, better known for her role as Ethel Muggs in the CW television series, "Riverdale"), a loser in the band with straight A's.

While Sierra is studying, she receives a group of texts from Jamey as he attempts to romance Veronica. Knowing full well they are not meant for her, Sierra continues to let Jamey talk to her and get to know her. When she figures out that Jamey thinks he is talking to Veronica, she makes an agreement with Veronica. Sierra will tutor Veronica in exchange for Veronica face timing Jamey and helping Sierra get closer to him.

The movie is supposed to be a feel-good teen comedy about a girl discovering that her worth is more than her beauty. After all, Jamey falls for Sierra's personality, not her looks. Throughout the entirety of the movie, Sierra struggles with her self-worth and finding out what makes her extraordinary. As she begins her college search, she has a counselor ask her what makes her stand out. When she says she plays an instrument and speaks three languages, the counselor points out that everyone plays in the band and she chose three very common languages. The counselor is a bit harsh in saying that at least she has her father's legacy to propel her.

There is nothing wrong with capturing a young adult finding her self-worth. It is something that all young adults are striving for and can relate to, making it a high ticket and popular movie. The issue is the way in which Sierra goes about it. While it is only illegal in Oklahoma (as far as the United States goes), catfishing is still wrong. It hurts everyone involved. In the movie, an image of Veronica with her ex-boyfriend gets put on the big screen at a football game. Jamey sees and becomes injured on the field. He is hurt both physically and emotionally as he thought Veronica was only seeing him.

The movie makes it seems as though Sierra's catfishing is okay because Sierra is a teen in high school trying to find her identity, yet anyone would still say that a 50-year-old man sending pictures of Veronica to Jamey would be wrong. There is no difference between a 50-year-old man and an 18-year-old girl when it comes to catfishing. If we show that catfishing is okay at 18, what's to say that Sierra will stop? If she continues to be successful when she catfishes people, why stop at Jamey? Why not go for high-rollers like professional athletes and actors?

Overall, "Sierra Burgess is a Loser" is wrong and inappropriate on so many levels. It shows teens and others who watch it that catfishing is okay at that age and that it is a safe way to find one's own identity. In the real world, nothing that happened between Sierra and Jamey would have occurred. Their relationship is a stars-have-to-align kind of relationship, created by movie producers to make a story more interesting.