What You're Worried About Vs. What You Should Be Worried About

Asking the right questions.

39
Andrew Stoeten

Worry, worry, worry: that’s all we seem to do nowadays. I understand that’s a very old fashioned sentence, but it’s true. Whether we’re worrying about tests, friends, jobs, etc., there always seems to be something for us to be worrying about. Granted, worry can be a good thing; it helps us get the job done, makes us think about things ahead of time (before tests and papers), but I’m beginning to wonder if our generation is worrying about the right things. Therefore, I concocted a list of worries; some of which I’ve heard from peers and some I just heard from those around me. I also created a counter-list; a list of what we should actually be worried about.

Do I look good enough?

What about if you look healthy enough? Are you staying active and maintaining a weight that is healthy for your body? Are you drinking enough water? Are you caring for your body beyond just your physical appearance?

Do I look thin/muscular (etc.) enough?

Why don’t you focus on looking happy enough? Are you smiling at those around you? Are you fighting the ever-present Bitch Face?

Do I have a lot of friends?

Do you have meaningful relationships? Are you being the friend you need to be for them? Even if you have a few friends, do they make you happy? And if you do have a lot of friends, are they all actually good friends of yours?

Am I involved in enough at school?

Are you involved in the right things at school? Do you feel fulfilled with the time you’re giving to your activities? Are you making a difference? Are you doing things that you enjoy or just what you think you should do?

Do other people like me?

Do you like yourself? Are you taking the steps to make sure you’re taken care of physically, emotionally, mentally and psychologically? Are you the person you want to be or the person you think you should be?

Am I doing well enough in school?

Do you feel accomplished with the effort you put into your schoolwork? Are you managing your time so you can balance school and the rest of your life? Are you happy with your major? Is it going to make you happy?

It’s not about eliminating the worry that we all have. It’s normal to have concerns, doubts and fears, but it’s about having the right ones. Focusing that energy on what really matters; that’s what makes us grow. So next time you’re obsessing over the thoughts I’ve presented above, or anything of the sort, maybe change your thinking and start asking the really important questions.