Things Type 1 Diabetics Say

Things Type 1 Diabetics Say

Just some common, often humorous lingo that diabetics use.

82
Things Type 1 Diabetics Say
Instagram

One of the things that I've noticed whenever I meet other Diabetics, is that we all have our own "lingo" for different things. Most of these things I didn’t even realize I was saying until it was pointed out to me. If you ever hear a diabetic say any of these things, now you’ll have a better understanding of the reasoning behind them.

1. "It's not pronounced DIABEETUS!

This is probably the BIGGEST pet peeve of every diabetic out there. It's pronounced diabeteeez! You’ll probably get corrected and a glare if you say it wrong.

2. "Is this diet?"

Diabetics will usually drink diet soda because it doesn't have any carbs in it, so there's no need for any extra insulin. I only drink regular soda when my blood sugar is low, because it’s really good at raising blood sugars.

3. "This doesn't taste diet."

The paranoia is real. Once you think something might not be diet, you can’t tell the difference anymore!

4. "I'm high...NOT LIKE THAT!"

This means hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar, and we usually say this at the most awkward of times, like in the middle of class, or at your friend’s house during dinner.

5. "Don't panic! I think I'm going to pass out."

One of the symptoms of low blood sugar is dizziness. It's not a nice feeling at all, and sometimes we want to let you know about it just in case. Lows can be scary.

6. "That's what insulin is for."

Every time someone asks if I can eat something "like that" with my diabetes, this is my response. I can eat anything I want as long as I give insulin for it. Yes, this means I can eat sugar!

7. "My endocrinologist is going to kill me."

Any time you have a high blood sugar. Is it an over exaggeration? Definitely.

8."That's a gusher."

Sometimes you prick your finger in just the right spot... I just hope I'm not wearing a white shirt when it does happens...

9. "My A1C was..."

An A1C is a scale of how controlled your blood sugars are. I treat it as a report card of sorts, and it's usually one of the first things that comes up in a conversation about Diabetes

10. "It's my dia-versary!"

Yes, most diabetics know the date of their diagnosis, unless they were too young or too sick when it happened.

11. "I already bolused for it!"

This is a great argument for not sharing your food. If you gave insulin for it, you have to eat all of it!

When you think about it, people develop their own sayings and lingo for different aspects of their lives, so why wouldn’t having diabetes do the same thing? These sayings are just some of the many that diabetics use, and they have become sort of an inside joke among all of us. It’s a way to connect to each other and lighten things up when diabetes put a damper on it.