13 Things To Know Before Going To A Restaurant During A Pandemic

Everything we beg you to keep in mind, told by a hostess, a bartender, a chef, and a management staff.

221

I work as a hostess at this lovely little restaurant near my home town, I began the job because my father works as a bartender. I basically grew up in the restaurant industry and when it came time I jumped at the opportunity to work with him, along with my cousin who works as a chef in the same restaurant. I reached out to our staff to find out what they wish people would know, along with what I wish people would know.

Our jobs may all be very different, but since reopening after quarantine, bartenders have become servers, hostesses have become servers. It is a team, and is all hands in. Being a host alone, is an extremely hard and stressful job and I have witnessed some of the kindest and also rudest people. So please, before you decide to go out to eat again. Read this. And take into consideration how hard your servers are working to put a smile on your face and have you leave with a happy and full tummy.

Please be kind to your wait staff!

Listen, I understand we are all cranky due to being cooped up, but these people waiting on you are risking their safety to serve you yummy food that you do not have to cook. So no matter how stressed you are, be kind, share happiness and you will be respected so much more. You will also make everyone's day just a little better. Be that person in a world of cranky, and throw some brightness into the atmosphere.

Be patient...

Many establishments have limited staff at the moment, so do not get angry if your waiter takes a few extra minutes to get to you. We are trying our best, and giving our all.

READ THE SIGNS!!!

freesvg.org

Some establishments have a set limited number of customers who may enter the store at a time now. For everyone's safety, please pay attention to your surroundings and read the signs posted around you. And be courteous and follow the instructions written (even if you placed an order for pick up)

Weather permitting.

Double check the weather before you leave, many places have out door seating's and have done their best to accommodate weather by putting umbrellas or tarps/tents up. BUT, they can only protect you so much; therefore if you plan to go out when it is supposed to rain do not be mad when you are stuck outside in the rain, and the wait staff will not allow you in. Due to the circumstances, they are not allowed but they will certainty help you the best they can. Have them wrap up your food, or ask if there is a lobby you can stand in. And remember keep your mask on if this occurs.

Do not forget to tip!

These are hard times for all, and working while their is a deadly disease around deserves an extra tip alone. But besides that, most servers survive off of their tips. So if you can afford to go out and spend your money on food, rather than cooking for yourself, be courteous enough to tip at least 15%. Now I understand, maybe you feel that they should not have chosen a job that the pay is based off of tips... but being an employee in the restaurant industry I can assure you the work these people put in DESERVE YOUR TIPS. Also remember, it is simply kind to tip someone for waiting on you.

If there are any special sauces you would like, ask ahead of time!!!!

live.staticflickr.com

When you are ordering your food, if you know you enjoy A1 on your steak, are a major ketchup lover, or can't live with out ranch ask for it at that time. Do not wait until your waiter or waitress is at another table, and you are shouting at them to grab you a sauce in the middle of a dinner rush. And if you forget to order it, please do not be angry if you catch your server and a quick second and they happen to forget. It happens. Again just be kind and patient. Please!

Preview the menu before you go in

If you have specifications for dining such as requiring gluten free, vegan, or vegetarian dishes, and/or have allergies, see what is on the menu ahead of time or call ahead. If you are ordering online, leave a note.

It also helps to take a peak at the menu beforehand in terms of making your decision faster once you arrive.

Be understanding!

If you go to a restaurant or food establishment during the typical times of a lunch rush (12:00-2:00) or dinner rush (5:30-7:00), don't be mad if your food takes a little longer to cook or if it takes a bit longer for you to be waited on. If you go at a busy time of day, understand that the wait staff is doing all they can to accommodate your needs along with everyone else's, to assure their guests/customers happiness. If your waiter forgets something, simply remind them.. do not freak out on them as they have so many things going on at once.

Picking up orders/ Waiting for your table

If the restaurant has a lobby for you to go into before proceeding to their outdoor seating, please remember to keep your mask on and if you can, send in only one person from your party. As for picking up orders, if you are with a group of people, send one person in to get every one else's orders, allowing for safety and space and lessening the chaotic nature of what occurs when you have three large groups of people at once.

MASKS, MASKS, MASKS!

If you are unsure of when to wear your mask vs. when it is okay to not have them on let me lay it out for you.

If you are waiting to be seated, and are speaking with a host/ picking up an order, please wear your mask at all times.

If you are using the restroom indoors at the building, wear your mask.

When seated, you may take you mask off.. if you feel comfortable you may leave your mask off whilst ordering as your server should have their own mask.

When placing an order in an establishment. KEEP YOUR MASK ON.

And a friendly tip; the mask does absolutely nothing for you if it is not also covering your nose!!

Speak up!

If you are wearing a mask, please speak up it is very hard to hear.

If you are placing an order, or picking an order up. Speak up. Tell us your name loud and clear please.

DO NOT flirt with the staff or the pretty young hostess taking care of you!

I have seen too many times, and dealt with situations where drunk men or just any one really make it known they are trying to hit on someone whilst they are working. This is the rudest thing a person can do to another, along with a very uncomfortable feeling for us. We are working, we are not allowed to tell you off or tell you to leave us alone. Be courteous, if you think a worker is attractive.. of course tell them! But do not put anyone in a situation that has a waitress telling their manager they are uncomfortable or taking the attention away from that persons job as they could get in trouble.

Don't be a "Karen"

I say this with NO disrespect if your name is Karen. This is a term used to describe a guest who acts privileged and entitled. A person who is mean to the staff, possibly by yelling at a waiter for an issue with food, or being rude and or picky with certain things. Please relax, enjoy that you are out of your house. Appreciate that someone else is cooking for you, and just because you are paying for this meal to be made for you- does not give you the right to be mean nor demanding to anyone. Be kind. Be patient. And Be understanding.