Things to Do instead of Watching the Upcoming Inauguration
Politics

Keep January 20th's turnout record-settingly low and make better use of your time Keeping America Great.

10
author

So, many of us are still in mourning over an orange monster who brags about sexual assault preparing to be the next President of the United States. For my own mental health (and to contribute to a hopefully low enough turn out to send Trump into a Twitter frenzy) I'm abstaining from attending or watching or even thinking about the inauguration ceremony on January 20th. If you're not feeling the love for President-Elect Donald Trump either, here are some suggestions for things to do instead:

1. Volunteer.

What a fitting time to canvas for the Human Rights Campaign, Green Peace or local Democrats. Be the good you wish to see in the world.

2. Wine about it.

Get it? But seriously, that's what I'll be doing. Nothing wrong with meeting up with some fellow feminist killjoys over wine and cheese to figure out what your next plan of action is. FYI: if you haven't made plans to go to the Women's March on Washington on January 21st, this would be a great time to get a group together.

3. Read a book.

Or watch a documentary. Or the news. Whatever keeps you woke. A few personal suggestions include Where We Stand: Class Matters by bell hooks, We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi, and the New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. In a time where facts seemingly don't matter, rise above and hit the GOP (and your racist cousins) with some stats. If you're too sad to delve in just yet, Jen Kirkman's new special on Netflix is the perfect balance of feminist rage and funny.

4. Make a Trump piñata.

I hear they're all the rage.

5. Get an IUD, STD screening, or anything/everything else while you still can.

Love ya, Planned Parenthood.

6. Call Paul Ryan and tell him about your period, how Planned Parenthood helped cure your yeast infection, or anything else that would make the vampires of the Old Boys Club say ew.

I know, I really love Planned Parenthood. But seriously, Paul Ryan may have shut Planned Parenthood petitioners out of his office, but the poor guy must be really naive if he thinks we're going to give up that quickly.

Stay woke, my friends, and remember to not give up the good fight.