Things You May or May Not Have Remembered to Thank Your Mom For This Mother's Day

"Successful mothers are not the ones that have never struggled. They are the ones that never give up, despite the struggles." -Sharon Jaynes

35
paulagoble.com

The word “mother” has many different meanings.

Biologically speaking, she is the person who gave birth to you and brought you into this world (and can take you out of it).

Generally speaking, the word mother means “to bring up (a child) with care and affection.”

Think about what that means. Your mother does not necessarily have to be the woman who gave birth to you, but can be anyone who brought you up, loved you, nurtured you, and helped mold you into the lovely person reading this article.

As one would imagine, this 24/7, 365 day a year job is challenging. For some, more than others. So it is always important to remember the little things to thank your mom (or mom­figure) for:

1. Putting up with me during my adolescent and teenage years.

Let's be honest, this is a rough time, and probably the reason many species are known for eating their young. Between raging hormones and whatever petty matters that had us all convinced that our lives would crumble within our grasp probably weren't a walk in the park for our mothers to live with. Thanks for not eating me, Mom, you rock.

2. Random phone calls

I may not have called you much when I first went away for college, but now I basically look for reasons to make your hotline bling. I know that you have things to do and that the shirt I found on sale AND in my size will probably not be the highlight of your day. However, it seemed like a decent excuse to call you. Thanks for picking up the phone.

3. Playing the role of a therapist.

You don't need to find a person with LPC behind their name to be there for you and give you advice. Your mom will do just as good, if not better, of a job than any ol’ therapist or counselor. Another bonus? No hourly rate. Thanks for listening to me complain about things that will probably be irrelevant in five years.

4. Honesty.

I can always count on you to tell me like it is. Always. Even if it's not necessarily what I want to hear, I know it's always coming from a good place. Thanks for saying what I need to hear.

5. Unconditional love.

Because let's be honest, I don't know if anyone could have put up with me for all of these years, up until now. Because you know, as I get older I become a little more like you which is more bearable than being like me. Thanks for being a good role model.

6. Letting me make mistakes.

There have been times when I did not like what you've had to say and did what I wanted regardless of your suggestions or warning. This may come as a shock, but nine times out of ten it ended up not being a good idea, and the outcome was less than desirable. Thanks for (again) lending and ear instead of saying “I told you so”.

7. Little things.

A task as simple as ironing my clothes was definitely something I took for granted. Same with car rides to wherever I needed or wanted to go, cooking dinner, buying school supplies, or taking me shopping. Thank you for the little things, they all add up.

Sometimes, your mom is your best friend. Others, your worst enemy. She created you, wiped your butt, picked lice out of your hair, hosted slumber parties, and tied your shoes all because she loves you.

Being a mom is a lifetime investment with no guarantee on the return. Everything comes from love, so think about that. Hug your mom, cook her dinner one night, or give her a call.

It's the little things that add up. Thanks, Mom.