The country would be so boring if we all didn't have a few quirks in our speech.
1. The Mitten
The infamous Michigan hand map and you'll only understand what they're doing if you know they call MI the Mitten, using their hand like a directory.
2. Meijers and Krogers
Adding an S to the end of company names: "Are you going to Krogers?" "I just got back from Meijers"
Instead of saying I'm sorry, excuse me or my bad when they accidentally run into someone or something they say "OPE!"
5. Didja (Did you)
Combining words so that they can speak even faster than they already do. "Didja eat" "Didja finish your homework already"
6. Immuna (I'm gunna)
and once again...
7. Secretary of State
I think they might be one of the only states that don't call it the DMV...
They can't take the 5 extra seconds to pronounce two more syllabus and most of them don't even realize they do this.
9. C'mere (Come here)
They're heavy on their Z's
11. Turning T's into D's
Butter is budder, letter is ledder.
One I'll never pick up on.
(Do you want "sumpin" to eat?)
Heavy on the "ee-yeah" and not afraid to draw it out too.
- 25 Slang Words You Know If You're From The East Coast ›
- 12 Midwest unpopular opinions from someone who grew up on the ... ›
- 11 Things A Midwest Girl Learns Rooming With A Southern Belle ›
- 40 Times Midwesterners Say 'Ope' ›
- 20 Things You Understand If You're From The Midwest ›
- 10 Reasons That Prove The Midwest Is The Best Part Of The United ... ›
- Urban Dictionary: Ope ›
- 'How to Speak Midwestern,' a Heartland Dialect Guide - The New ... ›
- Midwestern Sayings - Business Insider ›
- 21 Things Only People From the Midwest Say Gallery ›
- The Midwest Accent & Slang Terms | Owlcation ›
- 29 Things Only People From The Midwest Understand ›
- 21 Things Only People From the Midwest Say ›
- Midwestern sayings - INSIDER ›