13 Things All Midwesterners Say

13 Things All Midwesterners Say That West Coasters Don't Have In Their Vocabulary

Michigan slang ain't my thang

305

The country would be so boring if we all didn't have a few quirks in our speech.

1. The Mitten

The infamous Michigan hand map and you'll only understand what they're doing if you know they call MI the Mitten, using their hand like a directory.

2. Meijers and Krogers

Adding an S to the end of company names: "Are you going to Krogers?" "I just got back from Meijers"

3. Pop

Soda.

4. Ope

Instead of saying I'm sorry, excuse me or my bad when they accidentally run into someone or something they say "OPE!"

5. Didja (Did you)

Combining words so that they can speak even faster than they already do. "Didja eat" "Didja finish your homework already"

6. Immuna (I'm gunna)

and once again...

7. Secretary of State

I think they might be one of the only states that don't call it the DMV...

8. Meer

They can't take the 5 extra seconds to pronounce two more syllabus and most of them don't even realize they do this.

9. C'mere (Come here)

and again.

10. Cloze

They're heavy on their Z's

11. Turning T's into D's

Butter is budder, letter is ledder.

12. Sumpin

One I'll never pick up on.

(Do you want "sumpin" to eat?)

13. DAAAAAAAAAD

Heavy on the "ee-yeah" and not afraid to draw it out too.