Growing up on the east coast, there are things I say and do that will always stay with me. I thought it would be cool to go to college somewhere else so that I could experience new things and explore the world a bit more, so I decided to spend my college years at Michigan State University. All of the people on my floor freshmen year were from Michigan, so in many debates about things like "soda vs. pop" or our opinion on Buffalo Wild Wings, I would be on the not favored side. I thought I would share some of the topics that we argued the most about and see if any other non-Midwesterners can relate.
Popular Right Now
Let's be honest. College is the best time of your life for a lot of reasons, and maybe you should not tell your mom all of them when she calls. I can almost guarantee that you have used at least five of these, and the others — maybe you should try next time!
1. "I can't talk now, I'm in the library."
Typically used when the student is too hungover to talk.
2. "Gotta go now, I'm walking into class."
Then hit play on Netflix.
3. "I think it might be food poisoning."
Was it the food, or all of that alcohol? Your symptoms sound more like a hangover to me.
4. "No, I didn't just wake up."
It is 4 p.m. and, yes, you did.
5. "I need more money for laundry and food."
Meaning, "I need more money for things I don't think you will give me money for."
6. "I never skip class!"
When we use this one, it usually does not refer to anything before 11 a.m.
7. "I studied all night for that test!"
If by "studied all night" you mean you watched TV shows in the library, then, yes, all night.
8. "Everyone failed that test."
And by everyone, I mean me and my friend who did not go to sleep until 3 a.m.
9. "I'm walking home from breakfast with my friends."
Yeah, OK. You are just lucky she cannot see last night's outfit and the high heels you are carrying. We know where you have been.
10. "Potbelly's is a restaurant."
I mean, they may sell tacos, but I'm not sure I would call it a restaurant.
11. "I go to Cantina's for the Nachos."
I hope that is not the only reason but, hey, you do you.
12. "The $40 charge on the card from last Saturday? That was for school supplies!"
Yeah, right. It was for a new dress.
13. "Nobody goes out on weeknights, especially not me."
We all know grades come first, right?
14. "I can't remember the last time I went out!"
15. "I make my bed regularly"
About as often as I clean the bathroom.
16. "I did not say 'Margarita Monday,' I said I went to 'Margaret's on Monday'!"
Following the use of this lie, do not post any pictures on social media of you with a margarita.
17. "I use my meal plan, and eat in the dining hall all the time."
As you scarf down Chick-fil-A.
18. "I eat healthy!"
For those without a meal plan who have to grocery shop on their own, we all know you spend $2 on a 12-pack of Ramen noodles and the rest on a different kind of 12-pack.
19. "No, I don't have a fake ID."
OK, "John Smith," and where exactly in Wyoming are you from?
20. "I'm doing great in all of my classes."
We use this one because you cannot see our grades online, anymore.
21. "I did not wait until the last minute to start on this."
We all know that if you start a paper before 10 p.m. the night before it is due, you are doing something wrong.
When James Corden came onto the late night television screen, my mom and I were hooked. He was so funny and had many great ideas for his show. One being, Carpool Karaoke, which is our favorite.
1. Cardi B
This one just made me laugh so hard. Cardi is just herself which is what makes the whole video! Plus her driving (because she does have a drivers license) will get ya!
Adding in their twist to songs and even rapping their new ones. This was good.
3. Nick Jonas and Demi Lovato
These two go way back to their Disney Channel times. Listening to their angelic voices plus their stories is really entertaining.
4. Bruno Mars
His smile to his vocals you don't want to miss out on this one!
5. Jennifer Lopez
The funny questions to the insane car dance moves this is great!
6. Adam Levine
Throwing some nostalgia into their ride. This one will be sure to make you smile!
7. Justin Bieber vol. 2
Classic and new JB, what can go wrong?
8. Stevie Wonder
For all you 70s and 80s kids, this one is for you!
"Hello...it's me...I was wondering if after all these years we could meet...and drive around."
10. Lady Gaga
Her vocals are just amazing!
11. Shawn Mendes
You can tell he does not need any autotune!
12. Broadway ft. Hamilton and more
This made all my broadway song dreams come true!
13. Sam Smith
He's killing it!!!
14. All I Want For Christmas Is You
This makes my day every time he comes out with the Christmas Carpool Karaoke!
15. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
Yall this is just so great and funny!