10 Things I Wish I Knew In High School

10 Things I Wish I Knew In High School

High school is a time when most teenagers just want to fit in, but I wish someone had told me it wasn't worth it.

8

1. Don't change yourself to please others

High school is a time when most teenagers just want to fit in. With all the labels in today's society, it only makes fitting in that much harder. If you love to play an instrument, don't give that up just because the "popular girl" next to you in class said that band was lame. You'll eventually learn that your personal interests are what makes you unique. If you give into the mainstream crowd just for convenience, you'll lose yourself and your dreams in the process of it all.

2. Your first heartbreak is not the end of the world

Lovers come and go, but your first love is always going to be something you remember. It is every young girls dream to find a boy, fall in love, and live happily ever after. Unfortunately, that is usually not the outcome. Your high school love teaches you what it is like to love another person in a way that you have never experienced. But it also teaches you what it's like to lose someone. Whether it's college that separates the two of you from each other, or a nasty breakup, the pain of it all seems unbearable at the time. You'll feel like that feeling in the pit of your stomach is going to last forever and that you two were "meant to be". Whether it be time or another love that comes along, you'll eventually realize that the days ahead only get brighter and that gut feeling you once had will slowly start to fade away.

3. Don't let anyone tell you your dreams are impossible

If you want to pack your bags and move away to New York after you graduate, go for it. Whether your dream be big or small, do NOT listen to anyone or anything other than your heart. Life is too short to spend it wondering about what would've happened because you decided to give up on your goals.

4. Your opinion matters

With all of the social media out there, there are a lot of places to voice your opinion. But with that, there are a lot of places for your opinion to get shut down. Don't let the people who don't have the same beliefs as you make you feel like your's are invalid.

5. Don't feed into drama

When you're sitting at lunch listening to how Sarah's best friend told the whole table Sarah's secret, do yourself a favor and leave it at the lunch table. Don't go around spreading rumors because believe me when I tell you that karma has its way of showing up when you least expect it.

6. Friendships are more important than boys

When you're all head over heals for a boy that doesn't even give you the time of day, listen to your friends when they tell you he's not good enough. Don't make the mistake of ditching them while you're waiting around for a call or a text that may never come. Your friends are always going to be there, so don't throw that all away over a temporary boy.

7. Popularity does not define who you are or who you will be

Popularity is something that a lot of teenagers crave. But in reality, it's not as important as we all think. When high school is over, it doesn't matter if you weren't friends with the girl who got 2,000 likes on Instagram, or if you didn't date the boy who played every varsity sport.

8. It's OK to cry

Don't let anyone convince you that crying is a sign of weakness.

9. Hug your grandparents every chance that you can

If you're lucky to have your grandparents during your high school years, be thankful. You may not notice when they're here, but they are a huge influence on your life. When they're gone you'll regret not picking up the phone and giving them a quick phone call, or going to visit every chance that you can. Your time is very valuable to them and it's something that they look forward to. So, do yourself a favor and set time aside every week even if its just to tell them you love them.

10. High school is only a small fraction of your life

Once high school is over you'll quickly forget about all of the petty drama that happened over the course of 4 years. The girl you aspired to be like, or the boy that you made an effort to walk by every day will no longer matter. High school was only the beginning of the rest of your life.