7 Things To Help You Through A Rut

7 Things To Help You Through A Rut

Sometimes life just sucks for a little while. Here's a few things you can do to remind yourself that it'll be okay.

105
7 Things To Help You Through A Rut

We all have those days, sometimes weeks, sometimes months where everything just seems to be going wrong. It can get overwhelming incredibly fast. I like to call it "being in a rut," and sometimes it's just out of my control. I'm by no means a mental health expert, and can't say I have professional advice, but I know these are some things that have worked for me and other people I know.

So here are some small things to help you out when everything sucks.

1. Write down everything that you can be grateful for

Force yourself to fill a page; take time to really think about everything— big and small. Take your time.

2. Take a hot shower or bath

Steam out the frustration and anger. Often when we're stressed or upset, we forget to take care of the most important person in our lives: ourselves!

3. Watch your favorite comedy movie or show

Laughter truly is the best medicine and can help take your mind off of things for a little while.

4. Turn to your hobbies

Read a book, draw, play an instrument, hit the gym. Do whatever you enjoy.

5. Move

Go for a run, walk, or at least stretch. Step away from wherever you are, especially if you're sitting in bed mulling over whatever's stressing you out.

6. Talk to a friend or loved one

If you have that person in your life you know you can always vent to, reach out to them and talk it through! Even if it's someone you're not extremely close to, you'd be surprised how many people are willing to talk. (Bonus points if it's someone who can always make you laugh!)

7. Write out your goals, desires, and plans

Sometimes getting through a tough period can be easier if you feel like you have things to get yourself through it. Pick things that you know make you happier or help you feel motivated and less stressed; even use this list for inspiration! Something as small as planning to exercise three times a week and going to your favorite study spot to get work done can help tremendously. It'll remind you of some of the things you can do to keep your mind future-oriented, so you know that you can make progress toward escaping whatever's putting a damper on your happiness.