12 Things We All Took For Granted Pre-COVID And Are Now Learning To Be Grateful For

Learning to be more grateful for the smaller things

104
Brooke Smith

COVID-19, also known as the novel coronavirus, has been a difficult time for a lot of people in this country. From layoffs, to increases in unemployment, virtual learning and social distancing, it has been hard for most people to navigate uncertainties of what this global pandemic brings.

Lately, I have been attempting to practice more gratitude in an attempt to practice mindfulness as well as be appreciative of what I have going for me in order to improve my overall mental health. Like most people, never in a million years would I have thought we would be facing the situation we have today, but I will be even more grateful for the things I missed pre-social distancing.

1. Brunch out with friends & friend dates in general

I miss being able to freely go out to have brunch with all of my closest friends.

2. Employment certainty

With COVID-19, there has been a lot of anxiety across the country over job security as well as the presence of hiring freezes across the country.

3. Family gatherings

I have a large family, and the summer is usually packed with family gatherings as well as celebrating every birthday together. We all won't even be able to get together to celebrate my grandmother's 80th birthday together.

4. Traveling

Honestly, traveling is still not ideal and safe, especially through air travel, and going to other countries is out of the question, which is causing me to have increased feelings of wanderlust.

5. Going to the movie theater

I should be watching "Wonder Woman" 1984 by now in theaters with a large bag of movie theater popcorn.

6. Being able to smile when making eye contact with strangers

I wear my emotions on my face, and I am a friendly person, which is one of the minor inconveniences of wearing masks.

7. Group work meetings

Never in a million years would I have thought I would miss going to in person work meetings, but I miss the companionship of being able to be face-to-face with all of my coworkers.

8. Bar hopping with friends

I miss being able to hear, "would you like to start a tab?"

9. 24 hour stores

There was just a sense of convenience to being able to get snacks at 2 am, especially when I am a night owl.

10. Water parks

Who doesn't miss water slides and wave pools?

11. Being able to process my hair color inside the salon

My hair salon is currently requiring people to process their hair color in their car.

12. Being able to get a face wax

Honestly have been desperate and using Nair on my upper lip due to restrictions at salons.