Five Things To Do During Spring Break When You're Broke

Just because you're on a budget doesn't mean you can't have a fun break

1002

It's just about that time of year when students eagerly await the end of winter and welcome the warm weather. For many, there's no better way to kick off the spring than with a grand spring break vacation, such as a cruise or a stay at a tropical resort. Unfortunately, not every college student has the money to splurge on a big vacation right now, and if you're one of them, you're probably planning on heading home, thinking you'll spend break in bed with your dog. But just because you don't have the budget for the spring break of your dreams doesn't mean you have to suffer from boredom in your hometown. Here are five things to do during spring break if you're broke:

1. Road Trip

How many times have you said to your friends: "let's take a road trip!" I know I have way too many times without actually doing it. But now is your chance to follow through. A road trip can be a great and inexpensive way to spend time with friends and see places of the country you never have before. Map out what cities and states you want to see and split gas expenses with friends. As for overnight options, couch surfing is a guaranteed adventure and motels are relatively cheap. Or you can reach out to any friends who may live along your route.

2. Beach day-trip

Many of us east coasters aren't more than an hour or two from the shore. Although it may be a little cold for a swim, you can still enjoy the beauty and serenity of the beach. Pack a picnic, blankets and some sweatshirts and you'll be ready to spend the day with friends, food and the sound of the ocean. If you don't live close to the shore, check out any nearby river or lake to spend the day at. Added bonus: the only expense will be gas to and from.

3. Visit another college

Not all schools have the same spring break, so take the opportunity to visit a friend at another college. Every school is unique, whether it's the size, location or student body. And most likely there will be many different places to eat, hang out and socialize. You can explore the town or city where the school is located, meet new people and experience the nightlife of a different university. Also, staying in a dorm room or apartment is free and there are typically cheap food options around colleges.

4. TV/movie marathon

The point of spring break is to take a break from studying and stressing over school, so what better way to take your mind off the eventual return to classes than binge watching Netflix? Pick a TV show or movie series and spend your nights curled up on the couch with popcorn. The best thing about this is you can invite friends or watch alone, and it's practically free of charge!

5. Staycation

Although many people may think staying home for spring break is lame, there are actually so many benefits to this. One, it's free. Two, home cooked meals never taste as good as they do when you've been away for so long. Three, the probability of your mom taking you shopping for anything you need (or don't) is very high. But most importantly, there is no place like home and spending time with your family, and maybe some beloved pets, is priceless.