Things Donald Trump Cannot Do As President

There are things that Trump cannot do as President.

19

These are the things that Trump cannot do as President.

First off, he cannot reverse any Supreme Court decision. The case of Obergefell v. Hodges is something he can’t touch. So, same-sex marriage is safe. He also can’t take away a women’s right to choose, which was determined in the Roe v. Wade case. He also can’t take away your Miranda rights, the right to due process, or your right to an attorney, so there is no need to worry about these prior court cases and their legal outcomes.

Secondly, he cannot write a law or appeal an existing law. Well, at least not by himself.

While in the traditional setting, the President have an influence on legislative propositions, they do not have over-ruling power. This makes it nearly impossible for Trump to pass anything that is not within reason. Presidents also do not hold the ability to strike down a law, only the Supreme Court has that ability. So, if he comes up with something crazy, it probably won’t make it past the Senate floor.

Thirdly, he cannot make any laws or declarations that prohibit state rights or powers.

In the United States, most of the things you may think are run federally, are run by the States. So, for example, something like Medicare or Medicaid falls under State control, not Federal. Therefore, he cannot infringe on your basic rights and freedoms.

And finally, he cannot declare war. A declaration of war must make its way through Washington just as everything else does, through Congress. So, he can’t make some outlandish declaration of war on a random country.

Basically, while the President may have a lot of power, it doesn’t mean he can do or reverse anything he so pleases. They can’t rid you of your existing rights or make sweeping new laws. So, for all of you that are worried, this is for you.

Inspired by a Tumblr post created by notbecauseofvictories. (http://bit.ly/2esKJbh)