9 Things I've Learned From Serving

9 Things I learned From Serving

I never thought I'd be able to serve, nor did I think I'd end up being good at it

28
9 Things I learned From Serving

While in college I found it hard to live off of the money that I had and realized I needed a job to supplement my income. Everyone always told me to steer clear of serving because it wasn't worth it. You hear all of these terrible things about the food industry and it drives people away. Being the kind of person I am, I ignored everyone's warnings and applied to become a server. When I was 19 years old, I started serving, and I learned so much along the way. Here are just a few examples of what waitressing has taught me:

I can eat a lot of food if it's free

When you work for a restaurant, you typically get 50% off a meal when you're on the clock. Well, what they don't tell you, is that anytime the kitchen messes up (or you mess up) an order, you typically can eat it. With that being said, I ate A LOT of food at work. Even if I wasn't hungry I ate it because when you're a college student, and there's free food, you don't ask questions, you just take it. Looking back at it, I probably took a little too much.

It's not always your day

Some days, no matter how hard you are trying, things don't go how you plan. Let me tell you, I had many days where I was just more forgetful than normal; things slipped my mind more easily. I didn't remember that someone wanted no onions or that someone wanted a refill of their sweet tea. Some days I was clumsier than others. I probably can't count on one hand the number of times I dropped something in the back. Some days you can do everything right, and the customer still only leaves you 10%. You can remember every order, be on top of refills, and you still end up with the $3 tip on a $25 dollar check. It's the luck of the draw, and some days it just isn't on your side.

Smile anyway

On the days that seem like nothing is going right, you have to keep smiling. When every aspect of your day just seems to get worse, you have to stay positive. It can be frustrating when your effort doesn't equate to results, but customers can sense negativity. Wouldn't you much rather have a positive server waiting on you than one who is rude and pessimistic? Keep on smiling, it really makes a difference.

People can be mean

People don't care if it is your fault that something is messed up or not, they just want someone to yell at. The number of times that I've been criticized because of my kitchens mistakes would blow your mind, but you can't take it personally. Some people can surprise you as well. On my second day at IHOP, this table said to me, "your kitchen is really letting you down tonight", and then left me a 20 dollar tip. That same night, the kitchen messed up another one of my tables orders. They also ended up leaving me 20 dollars. This brings me back to the "keep smiling" point. Apologize, let people know you are truly sorry and try to make it better. Some people can be really mean, but there are those few, genuinely nice ones that make it worth it.

Talking to people isn't so hard

Before serving, I was really nervous walking up and talking to people. Through waitressing, I gained confidence in myself and my communication skills. I picked up the ability to make small talk without being self-conscious. Working at a bar helped me break out of my comfort zone more than anywhere else. I don't know what it was about the bar, maybe it was the atmosphere or the number of regulars I acquired, but it became so easy to talk to and confront people that it almost felt normal. I never thought I'd be able to serve, nor did I think I'd end up being good at it.

Don't judge a book by its cover

A lot of people judge a table the second that they walk in the door. There are certain stereotypes; old couples leave 15%, a one top leaves $2-3, etc. Over time I learned that these stereotypes, while sometimes accurate, are all relative. Some of my best tables were the ones that no one else wanted. I learned to never judge people based on their appearance because everyone is different.

Parties can be overwhelming

When I first started serving, I never understood why no one wanted to wait on larger groups; later, I figured out why. It's an event to just get everyone's drink orders down, you can't carry everyone's food, the kitchen can't make everything at once, and the mess they leave behind isn't worth it. It has really made me more aware of what a server is going through when I show up with a large group, and I have more respect for a server who greets us with a smile rather than a "let's get this over with" attitude.

If you work hard, people notice

Sometimes in the foodservice industry, your hard work can feel like it goes unnoticed. You can work your butt off and only make $35 dollars some nights. In those times, you question why you put so much effort in when you're not getting enough out of it. Part of you will want to start slacking, but if you continue to give 110% to every table, someone is going to notice. People will start coming back and asking for you. Your average tip will get higher. You'll receive $10 here, $20 dollars there and it'll add up. I promise, someone is going to notice how hard you are working, and when they do, their praise will be so satisfying.

Who I am and who I want to be

Through serving, I have discovered myself. I've figured out that my communication skills will get me far in life. I've learned that I can handle multiple things at once and stay calm in stressful situations. I've learned that it's okay to ask for help when you need it. I've learned that I want to help people anyway that I can and that I want to make a difference. I've been told I'm personable and that my smile is contagious. I've figured out that I love being able to interact with others, and if I can do something that involves communicating with others and not sitting at a desk for 9 hours a day for the rest of my life, I'll be pretty content.