Actually, Waiting Until The Night Before Is Better

We all work better under pressure anyway.

28
PX Here

Everyone procrastinates. It's only natural! We all know if there's a paper or project due, we're going to have to do it eventually-- no matter how much we put it off.

If you're anything like me and most of my friends, you probably wait until the night before something is due to do the bulk of the work. Why is that? Time and time again we do this to ourselves. We've had ample time to get it done, yet we just can't seem to sit down and due it until the very last second. Then, we swear to ourselves we will never do it again. We actually, for a second, convince ourselves we're going to start our next assignment the day it's assigned. Then, of course, like clockwork, we rationalize doing any of it until the next day. Then the next day. Then tomorrow night. Then, "I know! I'll spend Saturday doing it!....okay wait Sunday....okay I'll take the weekend to relax, and start it Monday....okay it's due tomorrow, it's now or never." WHY!? Why can't we just do it?

There's something about knowing you HAVE to do it that makes you get it done, and done pretty darn well. I mean, what's so bad about doing it the night before anyway? If it's a paper that takes 6 hours to do, why does it matter when the 6 hours of writing occur? Take your other nights of the week to enjoy yourself. Hang out with your friends and do whatever-- don't feel guilty about not working on that project. As long as you get it done, it doesn't really matter when, does it?

The only time it would be bad to procrastinate would be if you literally ran out of time and didn't finish. Honestly, I feel like this never happens. I've started papers at 11 pm the night before and worked on it until 7 am. You have to give up sleep, so be it. Whatever it takes to get it done is pretty much worth it-- even if you're half awake the next day. You can makeup sleep, but you can't makeup an incomplete assignment (most likely).

So, stop beating yourself up about procrastinating. If you can get good grades while waiting til the last minute, don't let your nerdy friend or Professors shame you. If waiting until the last second doesn't affect the quality of the finished product, who says its not better or equally good to put it off as long as possible? You do you.