There's No Such Thing As An 'Ideal' Body Shape

We need to learn that ASAP.

180

"Society plays a huge role in defining who we become as a person. I never really believed or understood this till I experienced it myself. Growing up, I was the chubby kid. It never really bothered me till I started high school. When I first got to school, making friends was exceptionally hard. At first, I thought it was because I was a foreign student and maybe I had a weird accent, but it wasn’t till my classmates started teasing me because of my body shape.

The teasing started just as I started my freshman year. At first, I wasn’t so bothered by it since I was always teased for being a chubby kid but as time passed on, the teasing turned into straight up bullying. I was teased for my body shape, my skin tone, my teeth, and any other flaw they could spot. Thankfully, I still had my close-knit group of friends.

Just because I wasn’t skinny or fair enough, I was made fun of. I was constantly ridiculed for the way I looked. Everyone had their own idea of what someone should look like and even at such a young age, my peers gave me a hard time for not fitting into that image.

The first year in school, the bullying didn’t really faze me. I didn’t tell anyone about the bullying except a few of my close friends. Stepping into my sophomore year with the bullying just getting worse, I started to hate myself for the way I looked. I got my parents to bring me to the dentist to get braces fixed, and I took drastic measures to lose a ton of weight. Soon, I fell into a dark hole and didn’t come out for years after. By the end of my fall semester of my sophomore year, I had dropped twenty pounds and my teeth were decent looking, and finally the bullying ceased.

What I realized though was that even though I looked fit then and puberty helped me glow up, I still hated the way I looked. I constantly tried to starve myself , and if I did end up going out for dinner with my family, I would vigorously exercise when I got back home. I craved to loose more weight to end up looking like the fittest guys you see on social media. What I also realized was that after my teeth were fixed and I lost a whole lot of weight, I started to have way more friends. More girls and guys from school approached me and wanted to be friends with me.

Growing up with kids my age teasing me for not looking like them honestly drove me into a ark place. Sometimes, I still feel weird when I eat more than my ‘allowed’ number of calories per day.

Thinking back now, I cannot believe my peers made me feel like an alien for being slightly different. I was ridiculed for the way I looked, by 13 year olds. Luckily for me, my family realized the red flags and helped me through it all. Many kids out there go through the exact same thing I was subjected to, maybe even worse but they don’t have a support system or a source of help. Even 13 year olds have a perception of what someone should look like, which is why each generation coming into society has never gotten rid of this image of the ideal boy or girl. The media constantly portrays skinny, flawless women and muscular, fit guys in commercials and sitcoms that children grow up with the perception that that is how every girl and guy should look like. Even so, I wonder why kids and teens feel the need to shame those who don’t fit into the image.

It is even more challenging for women to grow up and be proud of who they are, when people are constantly comparing them to these unachievable beauty standards society has set. Women try so hard to change the way they look to be more appealing to other people’s eyes. Women, especially now, shouldn’t be subjected to things like these anymore. Everyone should be able to grow up without having to conform his or her body into something else. Everyone is great just the way they are and it is completely ridiculous that it is so big of a problem in today’s world.