There Is No Such Thing As A Useless College Major

In the end, it’s not the degree, but the education that matters.

1195
Whatever your major is, I can assure you it is not useless.

No matter what degree you’re working towards, it will definitely pay off in the future. Students who are majoring in fields such as creative arts, social sciences, and humanities are often told to stop trying because their degree will be useless.

Across the Internet, whenever I see someone claim themselves as a proud humanities major, there’s always some pretentious douchebag who comments, “LOL why would you even go to school for something that would never make you money?”

Telling me my degree wasn’t worth paying for is insulting, untrue, and none of your business. It is also extremely unnecessary. Who are you to tell me that my major is useless?

Did you end up being thousands of dollars in debt after receiving your degree and now you want to take your sadness out on me?

It’s entirely inappropriate for a stranger to guess how much money we do or do not make, especially when, nine times out of ten, there are multiple typos in the comment.

I’ve heard multiple times before that there are no jobs in my industry. Again, that is 100% untrue. Believe it or not, there are loads of careers you can pursue no matter what degree you earn.

Recently I was asked how I was going to support a family with my degree. Since I’m still an undergraduate, supporting a family is not on my mind right now. Actually, it's completely out of the question.

Despite all of the negativity of what others say, many people make good use of their “useless” degrees. Besides, the person who tells you that your major will be useless also needs to realize that degrees don’t guarantee jobs no matter what major you choose.

In my opinion, the only example of a useless degree would be one in which the student managed to navigate their four years avoiding any challenging classes and only taking things that kept their GPA high while not being very engaged in class, not reading any or many books, and not developing any personal interests in anything.

Use your college years to expand your knowledge and develop skills that will be vital for the real world. Most employers aren’t looking just for specific degree areas. When you apply for jobs after college, employers will mainly be looking for a candidate with a great personality, good social skills, and connections.

No matter what your major is, use the skills that you learned in college to an advantage. The great thing about going to a liberal arts school is that it forces you to think outside of your comfort zone and outside of your traditional mode of thought. By looking at problems and questions through different perspectives, you will be able to get a better grasp on the best solutions.

Employers particularly appreciate this sort of education. They will know that you can be comfortable with a range of tasks and that you’re an innovative thinker. Also, you will be qualified for a broad range of jobs compared to a student with a specialized or technical degree. When applying for a job that doesn’t align exactly with your major, you’ll be able to point out the coursework and skills that are applicable to this position.