20 Things Your Old Coaches Wish You Knew About Switching Cheer Gyms

There can be good in goodbye.

547

When someone moves from one cheerleading gym to the next, it is a heartbreaking decision for everyone that has been involved in their career as a cheerleader, especially for that athlete. The fact is, this athlete is being pulled from their comfort zone and placed in a new environment, and that is scary for adults, let alone children. Kids become so attached to not only their coaches and the style of coaching, as well as basically growing up with their teammates. They experience so many emotions together in one season alone, becoming a little family in the process, so having to step away from your family to jump into another one can more often than not be unsettling. However, as a coach and former athlete, I know that change is good. I absolutely love my athletes, past and present, I will always care about them and have great hopes for their well being and success. Every gym is not for every person, and athletes and parents have to set aside their goals and put themselves before anything else. So there are many misconceptions about leaving a gym, but I am here to set the record straight. Here are 20 things your old coaches wish you knew about switching cheer gyms.

1. We could never hate you!

2. Everyone that cared about you before still cares about you now.

3. We LOVE running into you at competitions, so no need to hide when you see us.

4. Your cheer family is still here for you.

5. We know and understand that you needed growth.

6. Your success with your new program doesn't make us sad, it makes us really proud of you.

7. We do look at your Instagram videos and smile when you get a new skill.

8. When your mom posts a new photo of your accomplishments on Facebook we are happy for you.

9. We would coach you again in a heartbeat.

10. If you needed anything, even a shoulder to cry on after a tough practice, we still have no problem being there for you.

11. Leaving a gym doesn't mean leaving our lives.

12. Memories have us talking and thinking about you often!

13. We always tell each other how much we miss coaching you.

14. You are so important to us.

15. We hope that you are being pushed to your full potential.

16. We miss your parents just as much as we miss you!

17. If you left the gym on good terms, you will always be welcomed back.

18. Stepping out of your comfort zone and broadening your horizons can be a good thing.

19. There is no need to cower from change, it is more often than not, a good thing!

20. Believe in yourself and never stop pushing, know your worth and don't ever quit, because no matter where you are and where you want to be, with hard work and dedication to your sport, you can do amazing things little ones! I love all of my athletes and I cannot wait to see who they become when they reach their full potential.