I Have A Theory: 'Star Wars' Edition Part 2

Spoilers ahead.

30
Google Images

Last week, I published all of the current fan theories surrounding the Light side of the Force (aka Rey and Finn). Now it's time for our favorite temper-tantrum-throwing, Hot-Topic-employee-wannabe, Kylo Ren, to take the stage! Here's to the Dark side!

Kylo Ren

1. Kylo Ren's true intentions (aka The Ultimate Theory)

Recently, a fan theory was posted that blasted all other theories out of the water. The theory is this: What if Kylo Ren chose to go to the Dark side so he could get close and kill Snoke? What if becoming a Sith is just a means to an end? What if Kylo Ren is literally trying to accomplish what Anakin couldn't? He is actually taking care of unfinished business in the family.

This would explain why Kylo's pull to the Light is stronger than his pull to the Dark. I mean, what else do you expect if you're Han and Leia's son, as well as Luke's nephew? This would also explain as to why he's always talking to Vader's helmet (and that he's not just a spoiled brat trying to prove himself to his parents). It would even give greater depth to the conversation Kylo and Han had before Kylo killed him if you take in the perspective that Kylo was trying to confess what he was actually doing. Becoming a Sith means sacrifice, meaning Kylo had to not only turn away from his family, but sacrifice the one he holds most dear—his father. This could be why Kylo is so torn apart. He doesn't want to commit great evil, but for the greater good, it's necessary. He's fighting not to lose balance while still being close to the edge. When Kylo asked Han if he "would help him" in his internal battle, he was really asking if Han would sacrifice himself so Kylo could complete his task. Han wouldn't die in vain, but as a nobel sacrifice to finally defeat the Dark (insert uncontrollable sobbing here).

Also, this theory would give us a better explanation as to why Kylo Ren was so interested in Rey. It's because they could become the personifications of both sides of the Force—Light and Dark. Two parts of a whole. The combination of the two would equal immense power, which could definitely defeat Snoke. That's why he offered to help teach her.

But what about Kylo killing off Luke's Jedis, and his search for Luke's map? If this theory is true, it would mean that the massacre at Luke's Jedi training camp was staged. The reason Kylo needs Luke's map is so he can keep Luke's whereabouts a secret from the First Order by leading them a different way. It could also mean that Rey was hidden on Jakku with no memory so Snoke would think she died along with the others in the massacre. Meaning Kylo Ren knew Rey was hidden there, and that's why he freaked out when he heard that she was involved.

Although the plot seems similar to Episode IV, it's only because history is trying to fix itself. The new generation must correct past mistakes. The balance of the Force would finally be restored!

2. It's all in the name.

Kylo Ren. Why in the world would he willingly choose to be called Kylo Ren? Well, his birth name is Ben after Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Why not get even more clever by combining to other names as a subtle way to honor the ones who raised him? Here's what I mean: the "ky" from Skywalker and "lo" from Solo. This could be just a coincidence, but this is the "Star Wars" fandom we're talking about.

3. The helmet made me do it!

Completely disregarding the first theory above, BlitheCynic gives a different perspective on how Kylo Ren turned to the Dark Side. Instead of the collective idea that Kylo Ren sought out Vader's helmet after he decided to go Dark, the theory is that it was the helmet that pushed Kylo Ren to the Dark side. During Kylo's one-sided conversation with the Vader helmet, he alluded to the fact that the helmet was showing him things. Now we know that Anakin had redeemed himself at the last possible moment, but the Darth Vader persona in itself was a representation of the Dark side of the Force. What if some of that darkness lingered in the helmet? It would make sense if some of that raw Dark energy was left behind. In a way, the helmet became a "living" thing. Luke must've kept the helmet as a memento of his father, and after a while, it began to have a different meaning. Instead of just being a reminder of a lost loved one, it was a warning of the power of seduction the Dark side has. That if Luke wasn't careful, he could be seduced just like Anakin was (or anyone else, for that matter). Giving an object that kind of significance would definitely give that energy an excuse to stay. If Kylo Ren, being strong in the Force and the grandson of Anakin, was exposed to this kind of energy, it would make sense that it would influence him so.

Or maybe...

The helmet is being possessed by another kind of Dark Force—Snoke. What if Snoke was speaking to Kylo Ren through the helmet, completely evading Luke's radar? It could be a parallel to Rey's reaction to the lightsaber. While she was receiving visions, Kylo was receiving promises of power and instructions of how to get it.

Here is how BlitheCynic puts it:

"Ben Solo, being a student of Luke's, possibly his most favored and most intimate due to their familial bond, comes across the helmet at some point during his training. Perhaps Luke shows it to him in order to give him a warning, or perhaps he discovers it by mistake among Luke's possessions. Either way, whoever or whatever is possessing the helmet detects his potential—it recognizes a young, impressionable, but talented student, who clearly has a ton of inner emotional conflict (because, let's be real, those rages didn't just start yesterday) and is closely emotionally bonded to Luke, thus having an unusual amount of power over him. So the helmet begins to speak to Ben and seduce him toward the Dark Side, completely unbeknownst to Luke. His turn comes as a complete surprise to everyone involved because he was believed to be well-protected from Dark Side influence under Luke's supervision, and the helmet acted as a sort of tunnel or trapdoor for those influences to sneak in right under Luke's nose. This would explain Kylo Ren's obsession with Vader—he feels a bond with the presence in the helmet that purports to be Vader in the same way that Anakin felt a bond with Palpatine that led him to betray the Jedi. It would also amplify Luke's sense of responsibility if he figured it out....I think it is most likely Snoke using the helmet to convey images to Kylo Ren the way the lightsaber conveys images to Rey. It's possible he even mimicked the "call" of the lightsaber to draw Ben to the helmet initially so he could use the idea of Vader's legacy in order to turn him without ever having to make direct contact. This also serves to explain how Snoke was able to get to Ben right under Luke's nose."

4. The helmet is telling me not to do it!

On the other side of the tracks, there's the idea that the helmet is not actually the bad guy here, but is actually trying to warn Kylo Ren. What if these visions that the helmet is sending Kylo are actually pieces of Anakin's spirit warning him of the dangers of the Dark? We saw Anakin's spirit joining the other great masters in the last episode, so who's to say he's not trying to speak to his grandson through his own helmet? Kylo's pull to the Light might be coming from the helmet.

However, while this theory would be a nice twist, it has some holes. Kylo must've been told of Darth Vader's past and how he finally redeemed himself. So is he completely disregarding that? In the canon novelization, Snoke tells Kylo that the reason they failed at taking over the galaxy last time was because of Vader's weakness of personal connection. So what's the deal?

Currently, these are the top theories I have been able to put together that have the most "OMG" power in them. Personally, I believe that the first one above is the most accurate. If it's one way to make a big comeback, it's by fixing all that happened in past episodes using a new generation. This would give everything a whole lot more depth and meaning to the story within the story. Kudos to the dad that came up with it! The thought that Kylo could be a double agent never even crossed my mind (I may have been a little distracted). I hope you enjoyed reading this mini theories series!