Anakin Skywalker: The Best Cinematic Villain Of All Time

Anakin Skywalker is one of the most complex characters ever written, and that's what makes him so amazing.

912
Wallpaper Cave

In honor of Rogue One coming out later this week, those of us here at the Las Vegas Odyssey have decided to bring to you a Star Wars week of content. Is there any better celebration? Of course, I chose to do my piece on Anakin Skywalker.

Anyone who has ever heard me talk about Star Wars knows that Anakin Skywalker is my favorite character from the series as well as my favorite character of all time. I could go on forever about Anakin… and that's exactly what I plan to do.

Anakin is a very complex character who goes through a series of highs and lows throughout his life. The best way to get to the bottom of this character and truly understand his motives is to understand his personality.

Anakin went through a lot before he even joined the Jedi at the age of seven. He and his mother were slaves to a cruel man, and it's implied that they were beaten by said man. Later, his mother dies in front of him. When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan came to Tatooine and Qui-Gon decided to try and bring Anakin back to be trained, Obi-Wan was openly against it and was a little insulting to Anakin. Then, Obi-Wan becomes Anakin’s master. Imagine how that kid felt, having a master that he knew didn't really want to train him and didn't want him there.

To top that off, the Jedi Council didn't even want to accept him and continuously attempted to hold him back and keep him from advancing within the Jedi Order.

It gets a little easier to understand why Anakin turned to the dark side when you realize that his traits and personality are shaped by the things he went through. Let's look at it according to the Hartman personality profile.

In an attempt to keep this simple and not go on and on about these colors of personality, I’ll try and stick to the basic idea. In this profile, there are four colors that represent the different things a person is motivated by. Someone who is a red personality is motivated by power, someone with a blue personality is driven by passion or emotions, someone with a white personality is driven by peace, and someone with a yellow personality is driven by fun. Out of these colors, each person has one primary color and one secondary color. For example, I am primarily a red personality and a secondary blue personality.

Now, there are such things as sick colors. This means that the motives of the person stay the same, but they're using it for the wrong reason. A good example of this was Hitler. He was a red personality and he was very much driven by power, but his motives were used for the wrong reason and led to the death of millions of people.

Trust me, all of this relates back to Anakin in some way.

Let's think about what his primary color is. White can be ruled out almost immediately, as Anakin is not a peaceful person by any means; he is definitely an explosive person. Yellow can also be ruled out. While Anakin does tend to mess around and have fun (much to Obi-Wan and the Jedi Council’s chagrin), he is not doing things specifically for the fun. Yellow personalities only focus on the fun and tend not to get work done, and that's not Anakin.

So we’re left with red and blue, the two most Anakin colors there are. Which one could he be? Power or emotion? Let's look at it.

Anakin is definitely power-hungry. He yearns for recognition and does everything he can to get ahead of everyone else. He also gets extremely upset when he isn't promoted to Jedi master. He wants power and he wants it now.

However, Anakin’s emotions are extremely strong. Throughout the prequels, he is constantly reprimanded for the strong emotion he feels as that's not the Jedi way. These emotions are what lead to him and Padmé getting married… and also his turn to the dark side.

Yes, one reason Anakin turns is because of the power Palpatine promises him, but in all honesty, his true reason for turning is to save Padmé. His vision of her death troubles him so much that Palpatine promises him all the power in the world, but Anakin only takes the offer because he thinks he will be able to save Padmé. So for this reason, I think Anakin is primarily a blue personality.

However, this changes after his battle with Obi-Wan on Mustafar. Once Darth Vader truly turns and becomes the villain we know today, his emotional side almost disappears. His red personality comes out. Darth Vader is a red personality even if Anakin is a blue.

I’m not condoning anything he did at all. A lot of the things he did were horrible even if they were right in his mind. He killed all of the Jedi, including a bunch of younglings, and almost killed Padmé. He was the reason for millions of deaths in the galaxy and he even destroyed his own daughter’s home planet. He did a lot of messed up stuff.

However, it just proves how much of a complex character he was. Anakin was in no way two-dimensional, and there's so much more to him than even what I put in this article. For all his faults, he was still one of the greatest Jedi in all the galaxy, and he did redeem himself at the end by saving his son. He's not all bad.