Then Baby, You Should Go And Love Yourself

Justin Bieber said it best. You really should love yourself.

14
justjared.com

I’m not a football fan. I’m a baseball girl all the way. Kansas City Royals to be exact. Always have been and probably always will be. However, even if you didn’t watch Super Bowl LI last week, if you have any access to the internet -- which I’m assuming you do since you’re reading this article -- you couldn’t have missed the reviews about Lady Gaga’s epic halftime show. I mean, that was literally my favorite part of the whole night. She. Killed. It.

While most people loved it and sang along with her, there were some people that were quick to make comments about how she looked, what she was wearing and her “belly." Internet trolls didn’t waste any time body shaming her. They didn’t even wait until she was finished before the hate starting pouring in. I’ve read tweets, comments and news articles about people talking about her body. Her. Body. And it’s just ridiculous. I’m guessing they forgot about her battle with anorexia and bulimia since she was 15 years old and how difficult that has been to work through for her. I’m also guessing she could care less what you think. She is proud of herself and encourages others to be proud as well.

Like many girls, I have had my own struggles and insecurities regarding my body and how I look. When I went through puberty, that is when my body really started changing, and like many boys and girls, I developed insecurities and body image issues. I’ve been very self-conscious in years past and doubted that someone would want to be with me because of it. It may sound silly, but it’s just the truth. In my head, I have never felt like I looked like other girls my age. Also, what I saw in the mirror was not what my mind saw. I wasn’t and still am not tall and slender. I am 5’3” with hips, muscular legs and wider shoulders. I was a softball player from the ages of 9 to 22. But I still didn't let my athletic build stop me from feeling bad about myself. Most people never knew I struggled with this because I am outgoing and funny (obviously).

Going back to Lady Gaga’s performance, here’s the thing: you clearly have your priorities messed up if someone else’s physical appearance becomes the focus of any part of your day. You seriously need to check yourself if the highlight of your day is being an internet troll, hiding behind the screen, leaving comments on pictures of people you may or may not know, saying things you would never say to their face.

I’m going to guess that people who find themselves doing these types of things aren’t dealing with their own issues. When these people find it necessary to go out of their way to make other people feel bad, they are hiding and covering up their own insecurities and struggles.

I’m not sure when the standard of beauty was determined solely by what your jean size is or how contoured your cheeks are, but that idea needs to take a freakin’ hike. What happened to being kind and caring, compassionate and willing to help others? What about inner beauty and finding your identity in something other than “likes” and comments?

Anywhere you look, you see what society or Hollywood deems as beauty, but the effects of billboards and magazines have on young girls these days is astounding. Most models don’t look like real people, let alone someone who has had a good Angus burger. It’s completely unrealistic to think that is the cookie cutter imagine of girls around the world. As women, we don’t need that many negative thoughts to completely change how we view ourselves. If you’re a boy reading this, the same probably goes for you, but I can’t speak on your behalf. I’m sorry. When we tell ourselves we are ugly, not skinny enough, socially awkward, [insert negative comment here], do you realize how much you are tearing yourself down? Do you know you’re ultimately saying, “God, you didn’t make me good enough.” When really He did and we can’t look past our “faults.” Slowly, I am getting into the habit of believing the compliments that I’m given and knowing I am worthy without question or hesitation.

I want to challenge you to do some soul searching and find the real you. Find out what makes you happy and where you find your purpose.