The World Gives Us A Lot To Be Thankful For

Be grateful for what you have, not what you don't have.

16

What am I thankful for, you ask?

This is a question that many people celebrating Thanksgiving (such as myself) get asked every year. I, for one, seem to repeat myself every year when answering this question to people. I'll always tell them, "Oh, I'm thankful for my friends and family."

I mean, of course I am beyond thankful for the people that have been always been an integral part of my life. But I would say that is what I am most thankful for. The truth is, gratitude is such a powerful thing to have. I personally believe it is possible to be grateful for anything you can possibly think of, and you should feel this way towards whatever gives you happiness in life.

As a young boy, I wasn't always as thankful as I should have been. For my birthday or Christmas, a family member would give me clothes or something that did not interest me whatsoever and I would have wanted a video game or a toy instead. I would still say "thank you", but whether or not I meant it was questionable. My calm attitude may have proven that it wasn't.

Yet, as the little kid I was, I had yet to realize that I still had a roof over my head with a comfortable bed. I did not yet understand that the circumstances of my life can always be much worse than what they actually are. I don't think I ever complained, but I also had to realize that I should keep it that way because I have no reason to do so. A less fortunate person would absolutely kill to fill my shoes.

Now, as a college student thinking about what he's thankful for, I am glad that I have always received clothes from my family members that care so deeply about me. I am always grateful for what I actually do receive in my life instead of what I don't have, regardless of how much I want it. Even if I fail at something and don't receive my desire, I am still thankful that I had the opportunity to attempt a challenge because I still benefited from the challenge - I am taught many lessons that will help to improve and do better at any second chance I get.

I think the mindset I have has changed me for the better. Coming to my senses and realizing that I am fortunate in my life has given me such a perspective. I find that I have become a much better person and I am also much more positive. I also find the feeling to be so good that I have the desire to be more open, considerate, understanding and helpful to other people.

It's tough to say words like these at the Thanksgiving dinner table, but I am thankful that I am able to live a life in this world. I know I won't have everything I want in my life, and that's more than okay. This opens the door for more opportunities that are out there in the world; it motivates me to explore. I get to dive more into the world that I am so happy to be part of.