The Words We Believe

The Words We Believe

“One lie has the power to tarnish a thousand truths.”

27
The Words We Believe
dee out loud

Words are such a simple thing, yet they are incredibly effective. For a person like myself words means a lot; someone’s words have more power in my life than I should give them. I don’t care who you are, to some extent, someone’s words have the ability to hurt you and in the same way encourage you. Often times we are told the same demeaning thing over and over again and we start to believe it. So we grow up with this belief that we are who they say we are, which is not worthy, not loved, not good enough. We hold people to such a high place of value in our mind, as if their approval is what makes us enough in this world, and when they don’t approve we live in shadows of what we could be out of fear of failure.

Sadly, we live in a world where criticism is all around us. We are constantly told that we are not okay the way we are. The media tells us, our friends tell us, even we tell ourselves. We are all insecure so we make others feel insecure as if in some way that will build you up and make you feel like more. But it doesn’t, so we live in this broken world of disapproval. Sometimes we get encouragement, and it feels nice, but it is fleeting, that feeling of value only lasts till the next person gives a snide remark. No one can encourage us enough that we will start to believe that’s who we are, there is always that little bit of emptiness that tells you you aren’t okay. But the question is, are we going to settle for that? Settle for not being enough, settle for feeling inadequate? The answer is no. I think we should stop putting so much value in these words we receive from people and start looking at words that truly hold value. The Bible. The Bible is the oldest book ever written, it has sold the most copies in the history of books, it is known as the “book of life,” and the most amazing thing is it was God breathed. The God of the universe is saying these words, so they should hold infinitely more value in our lives than the mere words from humans that surround us. These words come from a Father who loves us more than any other love we have ever experienced, loves us enough to send His Son to die so that we may live in freedom. These words hold value. These words come from a perfect God, a God without sin, a God who has never lied, never said something passive aggressively, never said something out of obligation. A God of purpose and of truth. This God calls you chosen, holy, blameless before God (Eph. 1:4), redeemed and forgiven by the grace of God (Eph. 1:7), made alive in Christ (Eph. 2:4-5), complete in Christ (Col 2:10), holy and beloved (Col 3:12), and loved and chose by God (1 Th. 1:4). The list goes on of the times that God tells us of our worth in Him and to Him.

If we begin to take these words and hold them dear to our hearts, if we begin to believe them with all that we are, be unwavering to the empty words of this world, we will begin to be transformed by these words. We will see ourselves as God sees us, we will be able to love others well because we are not defined by them but defined by the God of love. This world becomes less about us and more about who God is and sharing that with other people which is what we are called to do. We are living out God's purpose for our life by believing that we are who He says we are, what a beautiful thing, what a beautiful God to serve.

My hope is that you will start seeing the great value that these words have, that you will read the Bible with open eyes and open hearts and you soak in these words. That the Lord would become alive to you, in you, as you let Him define you.