The Weaker Generation Of Election 2016

The Weaker Generation Of Election 2016

The younger generation might be putting themselves at a disadvantage in this upcoming election.

3
The Weaker Generation Of Election 2016
CATO Institution

I have been thinking a lot about this year's election, and I still don't know what I'm going to do. Between rumors of a third party member running and the constant political bicker between our Republican and Democratic nominees, I can't decide what the best choice will be.

But, I've noticed a rather scary trend in polling statistics, one that I'm not sure any of us should support, candidates aside. Despite the number of Millennials and Generation X voters outnumbering Baby Boomers and previous generations, the Baby Boomers vote increasingly more than the younger generations. So, what? It's not like all the older generations are going to die in the next four years and leave Millennials with a mess. No, they won't, but it could affect who is the United States' next president, and that's a bigger deal than you might think.

Yes, a president is only in office a maximum of eight years at a time, but a lot of damage can be done in that time. And depending on the extremity of that damage, it might last a whole lot longer, past the age of Baby Boomers. And with that in mind, I want you to know that somewhere near 85% of Trump supporters are over the age of 45 (according to realclearpolitics.com). I personally don't want either candidate that's running this year to be the President of the United States, but I also don't want the decision to be made entirely by the older generation of this country, so pull myself to the polls I will.

Not that this is the same situation, but it rings awfully familiar to this summer's Brexit fiasco in Europe. Most of the younger generation voted to stay, and the older generation voted to leave, but leave outnumbered the stay votes, and the UK is now no longer a part of the European Union. And if we aren't careful, the US could be headed in a similar direction, at least with our polling practices. As a young college student myself, I know how hard it is to follow the election news and the debates and research the stances of each candidate, especially while trying to juggle school and work, but I want to be the most informed voter I can be, especially if the influence of my generation could be the weaker voice.

This is a call, though, to all my fellow voters, whether physically in the United States right now or not: if you are eligible to vote, please do. There are absentee ballots and other options to get your vote to count. If you have a spare twenty minutes in your day to read into each candidate's positions a little further, please do. And if you feel confused and indecisive, don't worry, because me too.