The US Men's National Team Coaching Search Has Begun

#ArenaOut worked, now to find a much better successor to make the US relevant in soccer again!

27
PBS

Now that Bruce Arena has had his second little go-around with the United States Men’s National Team, it’s time for the United States to find someone with a name that brings success again.

The US brought in someone who knew how to coach in Jurgen Klinsmann, but after a bad start in the Hexagonal Qualification, Klinsmann was let go despite having taken the US to the round of sixteen and nearly further in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Klinsmann had a very successful run as coach. He instituted new tactical systems which structured a very undisciplined team that previously won solely from athleticism and hard work. Klinsmann was comparable to Baron von Steuben of the unruly United States militia during the Revolutionary War. He brought order and was more willing to use US nationals who played abroad and had experience in top leagues rather than players with primarily just MLS experience. Klinsmann also did not neglect the core of the team and used players like Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore regularly when they were fit and able. The United States needs another coach with the same level of experience as Klinsmann.

Bruce Arena was not the answer. His hiring was a pathetic panic move by the Federation in response to early struggles by the squad. Arena was not an immediate success, and he was certainly overall a failure. Arena had been part of the gradual improvement of the national team from 1998 to 2006, but after the tournament, it was clear that the United States needed something better and that Arena could not take them any further. His experience was only with the MLS and college teams in the United States. US Soccer Federation thought their answer was Bob Bradley, Michael’s dad. Bradley had been an assistant coach at AS Roma where his son Michael played sparingly alongside stars like Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi. Bradley was another small step forward before he could no longer carry the team on its trending improvement. Jurgen Klinsmann was the one who could help the US leap forward in their development. He brought the US to their best finish since the 1994 World Cup in 2014 where they nearly knocked off Belgium in what could have been a massive upset. The US was improving but seemed to run out of steam when they failed to start out well in qualification against arguably their toughest opponents in CONCACAF.

Now the US must seek to further improve and to use talents like Matt Miazga, Christian Pulisic, Deandre Yedlin and Josh Sargent. These players represent youthful reinforcements with big up-sides. They need a coach who will encourage players to develop in Europe with the best players in the world. They need a good European coach to jump start the team and teach them how to be competitive in major tournaments. Former England coach Sam Allardyce and former French coach Laurent Blanc have been named as potential successors for the US job but I would like to see them find a coach that will teach them to win tactically and teach them the technical side of football that the US have certainly lacked. For tactical improvements, they should look to managers who have coached in Italy or are Italian. They could look for Frank de Boer who has managed in Italy before or Paulo Sousa who managed a very exciting Fiorentina team. My recommendations of managers who should be considered can be found below in no particular order:

1. Frank de Boer (NED) Last Managed: Crystal Palace FC
  2. Paulo Sousa (POR) Last Managed: AC Fiorentina
  3. Walter Mazzari (ITA)Last Managed: Watford FC
  4. Laurent Blanc (FRA) Last Managed: Paris St. Germain
  5. Sam Allardyce (ENG) Last Managed: Crystal Palace FC
  6. Andrea Mandorlini (ITA) Last Managed: Genoa CFC
  7. Luis Enrique (ESP) Last Managed: FC Barcelona
  8. Carlo Ancelotti (ITA) Last Managed: FC Bayern Munich
  9. Tab Ramos (USA) Currently Manages USMNT Under-20s
  10. Louis van Gaal (NED) Last Managed: Manchester United FC
  11. Claudio Ranieri (ITA) Currently Manages: FC Nantes