To The Two People I Owe Everything To

To The Two People I Owe Everything To

"Thank you" simply isn't enough anymore.

553
To The Two People I Owe Everything To
Melissa Foti

At this point in my life, you could say I’m an adult. I certainly don’t always feel like one and am not sure if I am quite ready to accept the title, but either way, I'm basically there.

It has been 20 years. As I’ve grown up, I’ve realized just how much my mom and dad have done for me. With age, you realize your parents are regular people, that they were your age once, that they've been the broke college student, survived bitchy friends, experienced those “you just don’t understand” hangovers and dealt with difficult parents themselves.

From the time you sent me off for the first day of kindergarten to when you waved goodbye for my first night at college, you’ve been there. You guys were there before the boyfriends, college professors, mean girls and even best friends. You guys were there before everyone.

You taught me how to ride a bike, you’ve kept every one of my ugly childhood art projects, you’ve edited countless English papers and saved each homemade birthday card. You’ve given me chicken soup when I was sick, you've given me laughs that have brought tears to my eyes and you've given me hugs just because. And you’ve given the term “I’ll always be there” a whole new meaning.

I’ve thrown a lot your way in the past 20 years. And let’s be honest, we all know I haven’t always been the ray of sunshine that they say kids are. I’ve given you attitude, caused you pain and am certainly responsible for the stress that has led you to those Friday night beers a time or two. I’m sorry for putting you through those teenage year meltdowns and I'm sorry for the times I said I hated you. I'm sorry for the time I thought shoes belonged on the roof or a puppy was a good idea in the middle of tax season. But no matter what, you’ve never doubted me, always forgave me and loved me unconditionally.

The steps from you may have turned into miles, but that hasn’t made you any less important, any less there for me, any less my parents. Camp has turned into college. Report cards have turned into job acceptances. And the call about my date last night will one day turn into the call about my future husband. You have always been my first call and will certainly always be my last.

Thank you for supporting me at times when you didn’t agree with me; for hearing me out when I was clearly in the wrong and too young (and stupid) to admit it. It may sound cheesy, but thank you for giving me the gift of life. For sharing the magic, love, humor, sadness and joy the world has to offer.

Most families are close, but the things we’ve been through in the past few years has made us more than close. It has made us unbreakable. And the bond our family shares is because of you two. I’ve learned to be strong from you. I’ve learned to be grateful from you. I’ve learned to persevere from you. I've learned to accept from you. I’ve learned that family is forever from you.

It’s because of you I am able to figure out this crazy, beautiful ride that is life. The lessons you’ve taught me, the memories we’ve created -- it’s because of you that I have been so successful.

Dad, thank you for setting the standard so high. You have shown me what true love is. You have shown me what it means to believe in someone. You have shown me that challenges can be overcome. I feel sorry for the boy I marry, because he have big shoes to fill.

Mom, thank you for setting the standard so high. You’ve provided a shoulder to cry on. You’ve given me the support to chase my dreams. Thank you for teaching me how to do makeup and curl hair. Thank you for teaching me what it means to be worthy. You have left big shoes for me to fill.

I got to grow up in a house where opinions were to be spoken, not silenced. Where no topic was off limits. You showed me the values you had, the ones you wanted, but in the end you let me create my own. You’ve gone above and beyond for me my entire life. You provided an outstanding education rather than a good one. You’ve sacrificed so much; you’ve given me anything and everything without ever expecting a single thing in return. Thank you both for working so hard every day to make the life some only dream of my reality.

Thank you for showing me what true love looks like. Thank you for being the couple that still holds hands, that can finish each other’s sentences, that knows how to push each other's buttons to just the right amount of amusement, that wakes up every day and makes the other person smile. You may disagree at times, but you never seem to leave each other's side. What you two have is what I can only hope for.

So to all those people who said your parents become your best friends: you were right. They’re the people you never want to let down. The people you wouldn’t change a single thing about. The people who make your happiness their priority. The people you feel you will forever need to repay but who would never ask you to.

Mom and dad, thank you for being hard on me. Thank you for being soft on me. You let me be myself, dress however I wanted (appropriately), go to the college that felt like home, date the boy you knew was wrong, pursue the career that made me happy and follow my passions regardless of the time, money or energy involved.

Thank you for staying up late, waiting for me to come home. Thank you for sharing my failures and successes. For sending me videos of the dogs so I don’t feel like I’m missing too much. Even if I thanked you every day for the rest of my life, it wouldn’t be enough.

And even when I am convinced I have my life together, there is still nothing like hearing that extra “you can do this” from you guys. You two are my favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thank you for giving me my dreams and day-to-day routines. I owe you one. A big one.

It’s been 20 years, but you’ve stuck it out with me. So here’s to the past 20, the next 20 and all the others to come. I love you.