The Summer To-Do List: Florida Edition

The Summer To-Do List: Florida Edition

What to do with your summer vacation when you live in the Sunshine State.

56
The Summer To-Do List: Florida Edition

As the school year has finally come to an end, summer break is right around the corner. For myself, as well as other residents of the Sunshine State, this means endless beach parties, hot weather, and the occasional tropical storm to put a damper on our afternoons. Every year I compose a sort of bucket list of things I want to do before I have to drive myself back into my academic routine. I like to include things on my list that I have never done. For instance, working at a summer camp, or renting a beach house with my friends. Everyone should have a summer to-do list, no matter how big or small. Here are some things that should definitely be on your summer to-do list.

The Beach, Obviously

When in doubt, tan it out! There is nothing more enjoyable than having a beach day with a couple of friends. Florida Beaches are where to be during summer vacation. Kick back in the sand under an umbrella. Play some beach volleyball or soccer, or just go out for a swim! There is so much more to do at a place that just has sand and water than your own house.

Have a blast with some boats

OK, I'm sticking with the water theme for now, but hear me out. From fishing to water skiing to kayaks and more, boats are a great way to get out of your comfort zone and do some activities. You can go on a canoeing trip with your pals or, my personal favorite, go tubing (which is basically riding on a large, inflatable tube that's tied to a boat. It's completely safe... mostly). Trust me, there is no greater joy than see your friends fall of a tube being dragged by a boat going 40 miles an hour.

Road trip

If you ever get sick if the sea life, might I suggest a road trip? This is the oldest bonding ritual known to man (which may or may not be true, but who cares)! Wanna go to the Keys for the weekend but tight on cash? Pack you and four of your buddies in a car and hope for the best! There's nothing like being cramped in a car for hours on end, listening to the same 20 songs on repeat, and eating gas station food to really get you to realize how much you hate your friends.

Avoid Disney World. At. All. Cost!

Every single Florida native knows that there is no greater headache than Disney World during the summer time. With the amount of tourists and campers from visiting continents, complemented by the infamous Florida summer heat, it will feel like the a baking oven as soon as you reach the opening gates. Honestly, it's much better to go during the off-season; it's a lot less crowded.

That one house party with all of the people you went to high school with

This party is usually at the beginning of summer break, where everyone you know comes back from college and decides to catch up with a little 'get-together.' Everyone knows about these parties. They usually happen at somebody's house, their friends invite their friends, who invite their friends, and so on. You'll go to this party and see everyone you knew from your early teens and think, "I haven't seen or talked to these people since I graduated. How did I even get here?" This person will most likely have a pool, because we live in Florida and almost everyone who throws a party has a pool. These parties usually end the same way; with a bonfire that someone spontaneously made in the backyard.

Stay at home because the flood from the Book of Genesis is coming apparently

Summertime in Florida means sudden and horrific thunderstorms will come out of nowhere, and it can really put a damper on your plans (pun intended). It is always a good idea to have a backup plan for bad weather. For instance, rainy days are a good time to do indoor activities, like going to movies or bowling or whatever you can think of. Or you can just stay in your own home and watch Netflix all day. However, it can be used as a great exit strategy. Don't want to go to the beach that day? Say you think it might rain and just not go. Want to leave the party early? Just say you want to get home before it starts to rain.

The main point of having a summer break is just to relax and have fun. For some people, that means concerts and road trips and beach parties and so on, but for some people they like to just want to kick back, watch 11 hours of television a day and eat ice cream for breakfast. Summer vacation is me-time. You do what you want to do. Have an adventure, make memories, and sleep until noon. Enjoy yourself!

#HappySummer