The Story Of Juno

The Story Of Juno

After two years, she finally has a home.

48
The Story Of Juno
Ashley Dotson

Sometime in June 2014, a kitten came into the world. She was born out away from people, away from a warm home and good food. In time, she was picked up by a feral cat rescue, only to be moved to a small animal rescue and clinic in Martinez, Georgia. For two years she lived in places such as this, either alone outside or in a kennel with a small bed. It wasn't all bad. She met many lovely people that helped show her that pets are quite possibly the best thing ever and humans give the best kind.

Fast forward to the afternoon of Saturday, September 17, 2016. She was brought into a pet store with others from the rescue to be poked at and cooed over by a myriad of people. The volunteers insisted she was friendly, though she was definitely not fond of the noise. Some even tried to hold her, and she was not having any of that! Needless to say, it was starting to look like just another uncomfortable day in a sea of uncomfortable days.

Then there was something strange. A funny-smelling human stroked her through the bars of her little kennel, talking to her as if she'd been around her whole life. After some visiting with other cats, Juno was pulled from her kennel and handed to her. How that one knew what pets were! This one gave very good pets and was quite comfortable to boot. She even found herself ignoring all the strange noises and sounds to take a nap.

Juno finding herself in the arms of a nice new human.

When the volunteers took her away, it was one time she was definitely not pleased to return to the comfort of familiarity. She was enjoying those pets thank you very much! Apparently, it was time to be dragged against her dearest wishes to be carted to this place and the next, without the nice new human with her.

On Monday, September 19, Juno was surprised to see the human from before with two other humans. They pet her and spoke to her, but she was generally just happy to see the human that gave the nice pets. How she remembered her, as evident by her burying her face into the human's clothes. After some juggling between people, she found herself going to a strange new place.

Off to a new place, hm? Quite normal, quite calm for a cat in a carrier.

This place was unlike the others. It was big and had lots of strange new smells and new things to discover. Though right off she found three awkward little slinky things inside a kennel. They smelled funny and oh no, she was not interested in sleeping with those. Not one bit!

Ferrets are strange, wiggly little creatures.

She searched, finding one scary thing after another. There were so many strange things, it was all just too much. Finding a nice dark space with lots of smells of the nice human, she holed herself up where it was quiet and safe.

After some time, the nice human brought in a nice soft bed, wiggling into her space to give it to her. It was a very soft bed, nice and comfortable. It also came with an added bonus of many soothing pets from the human. Though it was all very scary, it was comforting to have that at least.

Sleep sweet Juno. You are safe now.

The next few days were very strange, but she slowly began exploring her nice room where the nice human spent all night. She was treated to many fine things such as really tasty food and given some small toys to make her room a little more homey. Somehow, the nice human discovered a particular love of shrimp and was kind enough to show her where the delicious things came from.

Also known as a bag from the pet store.

She was also given a nice thing to scratch, even being encouraged to do so! How odd, most humans seemed to dislike her claws. This one was quite pleased to see her playing.

Yes, this is good. Also, it is mine now.

Though the kind human after that decided to be mean and move all of her things across the room. It was like she was trying to make her leave her nice safe, dark cave. It was fine though, the room was very big and she was given more delicious things. She was quite happy to go fetch the soft, yummy food whenever the nice human set some out.

Juno still stays in her room, mostly keeping to herself under her bed. The kind human visits often and she finds that she can get many pets if she comes out to greet her. The human enjoys it as well, though is a big meanie every time she moves her things. Juno was thus faced with two choices. Learn to control human minds and get the human to bring her things back, or run out and use them all when nobody is looking. Both are bringing about interesting results.

If she tries hard enough, maybe the human will bring more shrimp.