The Stages Of Summer

The Stages Of Summer

As told by Spongebob.

39
The Stages Of Summer

Since summer is nearly upon us, or here already for some, I thought I'd pay our buddy Spongebob a little visit and get his take on summer. He's offered to walk us through the stages of summer, all the way from leaving school to returning in the fall. He'll take us through the good times, the bad times, and I must say, he's got it pretty spot on. So, without further ado, Mr. Spongebob Squarepants.

Here we are, at the end of the long, exhausting school year. The final finals week of the year is here, and it's a struggle to endure.

I mean, you've felt like this for the last month of classes. It's getting ridiculous.

Finally, as the week comes to an end, and your stuff is finally packed back up (wow, I have a lot of stuff...), you can sign off on your room, and you can dump all of that school stuff out of your mind for the next few months. As soon as your sign that room-check slip and all of your stuff is in the car, you dump everything school-related out of your brain. Immediately.

Before you leave, you double (and triple) check that you have all your college friends' phone numbers before wishing them a good summer and saying your so-longs and farewells. See ya, guys!

You feel relieved, like a weight has been lifted off of your overworked, tension filled shoulders. You swag yourself all the way to your car, and without looking back, you blow that popsicle stand like it ain't nobody's business.

Finally, after what seems like an eternity, you get to take a breath, roll those windows down, and cruise down the highway. You're done for the year. You're allowed to take a breath now. Breathe.

You feel like a free man. Now that you've cleared your head of all things college, you start to think of all the possibilities that the summer holds, all the adventures you'll get to have, all the memories you'll make. All the stupid stuff you'll regret.

By the time you get home, the tiredness starts creeping in again, your adrenaline rush over for the time being. You just want a nap, and you might actually be able to take one for once. I guess the fun will just have to wait...

The next day, you wake up, and you're ready and raring to go! Your mindset is "fun," all things fun. F is for frolic through all the flowers, and if that's what you wanna do, that's what you'll do. Might as well play the ukulele, anywhere at anytime at all.

You realize how much you missed living with your siblings who you get to annoy endlessly, simply for your own enjoyment...

But you also remember what a good time you can have with them or just sit down and shoot the breeze.

Within the next few days, you return to your lame summer job, busing tables, making little swirls on top of snotty children's ice cream cones, or dog walking for the entire neighborhood. As awful as it is to have to waste your valuable time working, it is nice to have some cash to spend. Maybe you'll get yourself a new wardrobe for next year, or you can buy that Xbox game you've been wanting for weeks. Oh, the future looks bright!

When mom makes her famous three cheese lasagna for dinner on Wednesday night, you come to realize how much you truly missed home-cooked meals. You will cherish these couple of months with all you're worth.

Next comes cornhole and slightly burnt (or black) hotdogs during the annual family get-togethers. Barbeques and camping never sounded like a better idea. It'd be a little nicer with indoor plumbing, but after being deprived from s'mores for an entire year, you'll take what you can get.

Since you're going to have so much time to yourself, you decide that you're going to start focusing more on self care, doing those little things you've wanted to do for months, and pampering yo'self. There is a long overdue bubble bath with your name on it.

I mean, while you're at it, you can start that workout that you said you'd do on your next break. But there's always next summer...

Now that you're about a week in, you get back into the groove of living at home sweet home. You call up that friend from high school that you always got along with so well. You really do miss your old friends, but it's so hard to connect with them while you're away. I guess that's what summer is made for, right? Right!

You start to slip back into those slightly (or very) disgusting habits that you can only practice while at home. Imagine if your roommate saw you flicking that booger across the room. Cringe.

You and the fam all pile up into the SUV and hit up that old diner there on the corner that's been there since you were little. Of course, everyone stops and asks how you've gotten so big, but the yummy food is so worth it.

As the time passes and you start to hear back from your at-home friends, you spend nearly every other night hitting the town... or at least walking down to the local ice cream parlor. Rainbow sprinkles never get old.

You even take up a new hobby or two while you're getting back into the swing of things on the homefront. Is knitting too old-ladyish? Maybe cooking would be more useful. What about stamp collecting? Bird watching? You'll find something.

Soon, you become so high off of your summertime adventures, you don't know left from right or up from down. I wumbo, you wumbo... we all wumbo. Alrighty then.

As much as you used to hate it before you went off to school, being at home for a while has reminded you of how much help you used to get from your parents and how you're so much more independent now. No mother, I don't need you to wash my underwear. No mother, I don't need you to cut my chicken. You know what, if it makes you feel better, have at it.

After a while, though, you start to get bored of doing the same thing every day. You realize you need something to do other than wake up at noon. Eat some sugary cereal and watch Youtube. Go outside later and walk around aimlessly. Meet up with an old friend and catch a movie. Blah, blah, blah.

Not having to think about anything other than what series you're going to binge next is actually turning out to be a doozy. You feel so unproductive, you're probably wasting away. You can literally feel your brain turning to mush from staring at your computer for hours on end.

In all actuality, you're going through withdrawal. You really miss your college friends. You miss the late night study sessions, the Starbucks runs that happened way too many times during the week, the regular laughs... you feel like you're missing a part of yourself because you're away from them.

As you look at the calendar to see how many more days you've got left, you're (pleasantly) surprised to see that your break is actually coming to an end. Your time seems to have evaporated. Wait, what?

Let that sink in for a minute. You can almost feel the work piling up already, can't you? Reaching out to you, stretching it's hand out to try and grab you and take you back to the depths of despair and endless studying.

You better start packing! Next thing you know, you're nearly panicking about not having enough time to put everything back into boxes. You're going to be rushing to finish, no doubt. Just don't forget your socks this time, OK? You learned last time that they're pretty important.

When you stop and think about it, though, you remember that college actually isn't half bad. It won't kill you to go back, will it? I mean, you've grown by leaps and bounds over the last year or so, and you owe that to your college experience. You're so much more strong and independent than you were before taking that giant jump. Now that we're men... we can go back to college once more, and continue to grow and reach for the sky.

It was a pretty good time, summer. I'll probably miss you soon. I think college is just as cool, though. Sorry, bro. Until next time, my dear friend summer...

*Cue dramatic fading into distance*