How theSkimm Revolutionizes News

How theSkimm Revolutionizes News

5
How theSkimm Revolutionizes News
theskimm

As society advances more and more technologically, people see news everyday on social media platforms. It's so common to see people's opinions plastered all over their Facebook sites that often we don't question the truth to what we are reading. According to the Media Insight Project by the American Press Institute, 69 percent of people are now getting their news from a laptop or computer. This is especially how people of the younger generation seem to stay informed. We all form our own opinions based on this information, but are we really getting the correct information?

Recently, my friend recommended me to theSkimm. I had heard about it before, but wasn't sure I was really interested in more emails into my already crowded inbox. I decided to sign up and see what it was like after her persuading texts. I found that I look forward to these emails each morning, and I am genuinely interested about what is going on in the world and how it relates to me. I never considered myself a newspaper reader (I leave that up to my dad), but this is a new way that seems to work for me. It only takes about five minutes of my day and is in my inbox by 6:00 am each morning. It is a clever and fun way to stay informed and to be an active and engaged citizen. I am able to use what I read all day and apply it to conversations at work or just with my friends and family.

I want people to be aware that things like this exist, and I want people to take advantage of them. I worry that people will stop caring about whats going on in the world since it seems too messy and complicated. What we hear from one news source may be very twisted compared to what we hear from another. They seem to fight and disagree and make each other look like the bad guy. TheSkimm tries to compare the two sides and displays news in a way that is appealing to both. Their goal is to educate, not to persuade. Try and take the five minutes out of your day and do something that makes you think (don't just scroll through Facebook and take in everything you see without challenging it).

To sign up and learn more about it click here.