My Experience With Going Through Recruitment

The rush process.

337

Hold onto your hats everyone. This is going to be a long and wild ride.

I went into the recruitment process with an open mind and a positive attitude. Rush is a draining and highly emotional rollercoaster so being negative wasn't going to help the situation. After visiting all the houses I didn't know how to choose which ones I liked. They were all so nice and similar. But I had to choose 10 so I did. The next day, (Sunday) I received my schedule and was a bit disappointed. The three houses that I thought I had great conversations with didn't ask me back for the second round. Like I said, it sucks. But, it's not worth sulking over because there were seven other houses that thought I could be one of their sisters.

If anything, I want to thank the houses that "dropped" me. I appreciate it because they know better than me if I would fit in their house and I don't want to end up with a group of girls that I can't relate to. Also, the phrase "dropped" is ridiculous. It doesn't even make sense. I wasn't dropped. I simply was not selected to come back to the house. Which, like I said, is a blessing in disguise.

I had a great second round. All seven houses were awesome and I was so happy to have been asked back to them. At the end of the day I had to pick my top six, and I did. I wouldn't get my schedule for next round until the following Saturday so the next couple of days I could do nothing but wait.

My sister was a rho gamma throughout the recruitment process. This means that during rush she was unaffiliated with her chapter and was there to make the lives of those going through recruitment easier.

A few days after round 2, my sister got a call on her way to class. The recruitment chair of her sorority told her that I would not be asked back to their house for the third round even though I was considered a legacy in the house. The rest of the day my sister cried her eyes out trying to figure out how to tell me. She came to my dorm and dropped the news. I was not going to be her sorority sister.

Obviously that sucks. We both cried for a bit but eventually it just ended with me being furious. I want you to try and put yourself in both of our positions. My sister, a loyal member to her house, was put in the position where she had to tell her own sister that she will not be asked back to the sorority that she has dedicated her last three years to. And then there's my end. I have to live with the fact that, even though I'm a legacy, that house didn't want me. I have to explain it to all my friends that although my own bloodline is in the house, I wasn't asked back for the next round. Honestly it's the most shitty feeling I have ever felt in my entire life and I cannot believe that anyone could have the heart to put me and my sister through what they have put us through. The embarrassment and hurt that I am feeling is enormous.

But thinking about it, I'm happy that I'm not in that house. I'm glad that I found out now what kind of people are now inhabiting that chapter instead of figuring it out next year when this situation happens to someone else. I am also incredibly furious at the entire situation mostly because of the principle of it but like I said, there's no point of getting too upset. This could be one of the only situations where I'm actually mad and NOT disappointed.

I don't want to be a part of a group that have such a huge lack of respect for their fellow sisters. I wish you all the best of luck with trying to keep your house together. I'll be over here having fun with sisters who actually appreciate me and building whichever house I am in, to the top.

In the third round I was asked back to two houses. I already knew which one I was going to be in. One of the houses I couldn't see myself in and the other one already felt like home. (and I was already close friends with a lot of the girls through other activities) It was a little discouraging at first considering the round before I had 7 houses which meant that 5 dropped me. But hey, stay positive. Trust the process.

On preference day I went back to those same two houses. The rituals were sweet and meaningful. The first house, once again, I couldn't see myself in. The girls are so nice and amazing but it didn't feel like the place for me. I went to the second house and saw some of my friends on the lawn. They were in the same group as me for this house. I stood next to one of my best friends in line and shuffled on in. The girl rushing me is one of the best friends of my friend in the house. She took me in her room and we talked. Literally, we just talked. There was no pressure and I wasn't uncomfortable. We were talking like two friends who were meeting for coffee.

When it was time for the preference ceremony, we walked down to the basement. I got to see the beautiful house and felt the homey feeling I was waiting for. But, what really got me was what was in the basement. On each of the white chairs, laid a single yellow rose. I started freaking out. Yellow roses are my thing. Ask any of my friends and family. The girl that was rushing me was like yeah it's our symbol and I'm like I don't think you understand. I have a tattoo of a rose and if I was going to color it, it would be yellow. It's my thing. So, OBVIOUSLY, it's a sign. The symbol of this sorority was a single yellow rose and THAT'S what did it. That pushed me over the edge.

When we left, we took a petal off the rose and made a wish in the fountain. As we were leaving, the active I was paired with said she "hopes my wish was the same as hers." This house wanted me. And I wanted to be in that house.

I called my sister and told her I was freaking out and about the yellow rose. She responds by saying, "LIN". She knew it too. It was meant to be. Tears started forming in her eyes as I was talking to her and honestly, they were in my eyes too. After the heartache, I found my home. All I had to do is submit that house on my preference form and hope they write me a bid.

Monday, September 19th: Bid Day. I suicide rushed that one house. I didn't get a call at any point that day, so I knew I was in. The house I loved wanted me back, and wanted me as their sister and I was over the moon with happiness.

What I have learned is screw the haters. People won't like you and that's okay because eventually you'll find your place. Also, don't let people push you or your family around. Yeah I'm still bitter about what that house put me and my sister through and the house will forever have a bad stigma in my eyes but also thanks for not letting me in your house. Like I said, I don't want to be with people who treat their members and their siblings like that.

Thank you to the 13 houses who didn't ask me back. If it weren't for all of you, I wouldn't have found my new home.

I'm happy to be a Sig Delt.