The Reason I Changed My Major

The Reason I Changed My Major

Just when you think you hate something, you may actually really love it.

12
The Reason I Changed My Major
Child Life

From the time I was old enough to be asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I had always given people the same answer. I never said actress or president, I said marine biologist. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't know many kindergartners who tell people they want to be a marine biologist. But I was one of those kids.

I had given people this same answer for years, until I finally realized maybe that wasn't exactly what I want to do. I started getting into writing and I loved it. I mostly wrote movies and that became my hobby. I wrote anything that came into my head and made tons of scripts. I took a media production class in school and started turning my scripts into films. It was great! I was completely in love. So much so, that I declared my major, senior year in high school as TV/Film. It was amazing. I went to a great TV/Film school and learned so much. I could see my work improve day by day. The hands on part was amazing, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching my work turn into something so real. However, I started to realize, maybe this could be a hobby instead of a career. Every time I told someone I was a film major I heard chuckles and comments like, "Enjoy waiting tables for the rest of your life." Without going too much into it (that will be a whole separate article), I started looking into other careers.

If there was one thing I always told myself, it was that I did not like children. I used to think they were germ-infested and wild. However, my senior year in high school I took a class called child development. We got hands on experience being with kids and taking care of them, as they went to preschool and our class spent time with them. Most kids took this class because it was an easy A. I know I did. But eventually, I started forming relationships with these kids. I looked forward to that class day after day and found myself staying later to spend more time with the kids. Was I starting to like children after all? Maybe I would want to work with kids in the future?

I found through talking with my dad and people at the hospital that there is a field in hospitals called "Child life" and it's people who are trained to talk to kids and help them while they stay in the hospital. These professionals teach kids about the procedures they are going to have and help keep their mind off of being there. They make sure they can have fun, even though they are in a hospital. I signed up to volunteer at the hospital and I shadowed a child life specialist. My first day, I was so nervous. I thought all the kids were going to hate me, and be sick and not want to talk to me. But after experiencing and watching, I immediately knew this was what I wanted to do. I transferred schools and changed my major to family and child studies, and I was able to be closer to the hospital I was at. I was and am learning so much.

The one thing I learned early on is that kids are so resilient. Even when they are sick they still smile and talk and play. Unlike adults (or me), when I'm sick I just want to be left alone in my bed. These kids really help remind you that some of the simple problems you have in life really aren't that bad. As I continue to work with these kids in the hospital, I look forward every day to forming new relationships and being inspired by them. They teach me something new and I get to enjoy making them smile and forget where they are for a little. Every so often I'll have a child who is enjoying themselves so much they tell me they'll see me later, and I have to remind them that they don't wanna come back here.

It amazes me how something I once hated turned out to be the thing I love most. I truly believe taking that child development class helped me realize my true passion, and that's helping kids and feeling like I'm making a difference in someone's life. Always remember life is a gift, and never take any moment for granted. Always explore your options even if you think you're going to hate something because it may turn out to be the best decision you ever made.