Why Are We Not Sleeping? A Close look at the reality of sleep deprivation

Lack of sleep directly affects how we think and feel

20
Why Are We Not Sleeping?
A Close look at the reality of sleep deprivation

Sleep. Is there anything better? It’s amazing something that requires so little effort can have such powerful benefits for our mental, physical and emotional health. Perhaps there’s a lesson in there somewhere, slowing down and resting is something many of us are guilty of resisting. Bedtime seems less of a priority in a world where a constant need to be productive has left us in a chronic state of being switched on. Sleep deprivation has become something of the norm in modern life, though addressing this could be one of the best things you do for your well-being. Let’s take a look at the reasons many of us struggle with sleep and some of the ways you can up your shut-eye for a better you.

What is keeping us up at night?

Frequently wake up in the night? You are not alone. According to a recent sleep survey, there are some surprising reasons behind those unwelcome wake-up calls. Constant trips to the bathroom were the number one cause of disrupted sleep, though dreams and nightmares can also pull us out of a deep slumber. If you live in a noisy city or household, according to the study external noise can make up to 22% of wake-up and end up blinking at the ceiling, or worse scrolling Instagram.

Speaking of Instagram, too much blue light before bed is another cause of less restorative, sleep. In fact, the same study suggests only 18% of us manage to fall asleep in less than 15 minutes. All that screen time can leave you with an overactive mind meaning more tossing, turning, and frustration when you try to access dreamland.

With less than 50% of us managing to get those precious 6-8 hours, are we experiencing something of a sleep pandemic? Maybe. Under 12% of sleepers from the study rated their sleep as very good. This can have severe effects on everything from our mood to our immune system. Though there are ways you can set yourself up for a deeper, smoother sleep. Here is a bit of bedtime magic that can help.

Simple ways to improve your sleep

Avoid drinks before bedtime

With nature calling being the number one cause of being pulled out of bed, it’s time to take action. Avoiding drinks up to an hour or two before bed will help give your bladder time to empty and fewer toilet trips. Try and have that last cup of tea or hot chocolate earlier in the evening. Setting a certain time can help establish a routine that works wonders in regulating your sleeping habits.

Less scrolling, more relaxing

Keeping up with social media, emails and those what’s up groups is exhausting. Give yourself a break! Especially before bed. Swapping screens for a long soak in the tub, a good book, or a movie with your loved ones two hours before bed gives your mind time to unwind and prepare for a deeper, restorative rest- and you will drift off far sooner.

Prioritize your routine

If there is one routine you set and keep to, make it bedtime! It’s so easy to slip into late nights and get up at different times though this can make it very hard for your circadian rhythm to function. Prioritizing rest takes a shift in mindset though you will thank yourself for making it. Going to bed and rising and shining at the same time is one of the best sleeping habits to adopt for your well-being.

Set up your comfort zone

Your bedroom should be your sanctuary of rest, a place you look forward to retreating to at the end of each day. Make sure you have everything you need to get a good night’s sleep, from a supportive mattress and a warm and cozy duvet to the perfect pillows. Getting the thermostat set at 18 degrees can also keep your body at the optimum temperature for better sleep. If you experience noise at night, having earplugs in your bedtime drawer can help set you up for a rejuvenating, smoother slumber.

Ready for sweeter bedtimes?

Sleep deprivation is a serious issue that prolonged can have severe impacts on your health. From a weakened immune system, and memory loss to simply zapping the spring from your step. If you are feeling the effects of not getting enough shut-eye, try to slow down and be kind to yourself. You deserve a good night’s sleep, give these simple tips a go and set yourself up for sweeter bedtimes.