The Real Problem With This Election
Politics

The Real Problem With This Election

Why this election has continued to upset me.

2
The Real Problem With This Election
Government Techology

This election has disappointed me and so many others, but, my problem is not the same as the majority of our community.

My problem has nothing to do with who won the election. While I am not pleased about who our future President will be, that is not what is distressing me most. What is making me the most upset is the behavior of others during the aftermath of the election.

Facebook has been brutal. It has been so bad, that I didn't go on for days because I couldn't stand to look at what people were saying. People who I would have never expected it from have been posting mean and hateful messages. I have never been more ashamed of our community.

We are allowed to disapprove of who was elected. We are allowed to be scared of what is to come. What we are not allowed to do is to disrespect both our country and our peers.

One of the biggest protests I have seen on social media is the burning of the American flag. This behavior is disgraceful. People call themselves patriots and then spit on the country they claim to be fighting for.

I have also seen hateful posts all over Facebook and other social media sites. People have been calling each other names and refuse to listen to views that differ from their own. The main argument throughout this election has been to listen and accept the views of others. Unfortunately, many of the people who uttered those words before Trump's victory are bashing the views that lead to Hillary's loss.

We are all afraid of what us to come. The unknown is scary, especially when you are not a fan of who is in control. That fear however, is not an excuse to be awful to others. It is not a reason to start hashtags against Trump and it is not a reason to be nasty to other people. It is a reason to work together.

If the future is as bad as many suspect it will be, it is not the time to separate ourselves further. It is time to come together. What we need is to unify the country again. In order to do this, we need to respect each other and listen to different views. We need to get past our differences and get along.

I have never been more disappointed in our community. I thought that when the election was over, the hatred would start to diminish. Unfortunately, it seems I was wrong. I hope that in the next few months, we can learn to get past all of this hatred and come together to fix our broken country.