The Race For Governor Could Be Revolutionary

Greg Abbott: To Reelect or To Retire?

93
Elliott Stallion

Unlike the constantly discussed and debated election of 2016, the 2018 gubernatorial race in Texas seems to have gone, for the most part, unnoticed.

Lacking the flash-and-bang news Americans have grown used to, the race for governor of Texas has been relatively quiet. As a result, many Texan residents are unaware of not only who is running in this election, but that there is even an election at all.

As a young, voting American, I find it important that I stay informed, and up-to-date on current events. In spite of this, the election was only recently brought to my attention by a phone call from a local pollster. Seeing as there is nothing more important in a Democratic Republic than an informed public, it is my goal to share with you the most unbiased and relevant information I can find, so that We The People, can all make informed decisions come election day.

There is a relatively short list of only three Republican candidates -- including incumbent Greg Abbott -- running against nine Democrats. A full list of each candidate running can be observed on ballotpedia.org, a website known for its accurate and unbiased information regarding current and previous elections.

Greg Abbott, our presiding governor, was elected into office in 2014. In his time in the executive branch, Abbott has made his positions clear, in his stance supporting the 2nd and 10th Amendments. According to his personal, public website, Governor Abbott argues that the "greatest freedom enumerated in our Constitution is the Tenth Amendment."

The 10th Amendment, put simply, states that any individual power not specifically designated to the federal government is reserved to the States, and in turn, the people. This amendment is indeed important, and is a major factor in balancing the power between nation and state.

The question brought up by this is: In what way has the federal government infringed on Texas' state's rights that enforcing the amendment should be the governor's top leading concern?

According to research conducted by The Texas Tribune, once Barack Obama was elected in 2008, the Texas government would sue his administration 48 times. Until 2014, this occurred with Greg Abbott at the helm, who sat as the Texas Attorney General since 2002. Out of those 48 lawsuits, approximately 29 of them dealt with the following issues: Air and Water Quality, Climate Change, and Immigration.

In the end, these cases would end up costing Texas nearly $6 million, which seems a bit excessive, considering they were cases against our own government.

The gist is, while Governor Abbott may be trying to keep the federal government out of our "personal lives, our businesses, and our bank accounts," it is possible the state may be doing just what Abbott hopes to prevent.

While personally, I cannot argue that life in Texas is anything near problematic, I am a firm believer that progress is always a step in the right direction, specifically when it comes to putting revolutionary thinkers in office. If a politician's goal is to use tax dollars to combat every issue put forth by an administration out of simple spite or disdain, that politician is, without a doubt, interfering in our personal lives, and more importantly, our bank accounts.

For more information regarding Greg Abbot and his campaign, you can visit his website: https://www.gregabbott.com/.