The Prescription That Changed My Life

The Prescription That Changed My Life

Who knew that the best medicine would have four paws and a wet nose?

7
The Prescription That Changed My Life
Savanna Wooley

When I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and an anxiety disorder, I knew my life was going to change. I had to prepare myself for a treatment plan that included counseling, medication, and self-reflection. After being prescribed one antidepressant after another, I finally found one that worked for me, but my counselor felt like I needed another prescription. Little did I know, this prescription would be one that would positively impact my life in a multitude of ways.

I was prescribed an Emotional Support Animal, or an ESA, by my counselor. An emotional support animal is an animal that has been prescribed for a patient by a licensed mental health professional. An ESA provides therapeutic benefit to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability. Emotional support animals are typically dogs and cats. Unlike service animals, emotional support animals do not need any training.

I would like to introduce you to my ESA, Dixie. Dixie is a 3-year-old terrier with a spunky attitude who sometimes forgets how small she is. I loved Dixie very much before she became my emotional support animal and went to school with me; however, she became a momma’s baby very quickly after she settled into her new environment. My pets have always been like family, but now Dixie was more than that. She became a ray of sunshine in the midst of dark storm clouds.

When I was depressed, I would struggle to do the simple things: get out of bed, take a shower, go to class, and even eat. If I managed to make it to my classes, I looked forward to going back to my dorm room so I could get back in the bed and sleep the day away. I only went outside if it was necessary. I was lonely. I did not have the energy to interact with people or socialize. The few friendships I had suffered. I had no motivation or energy to do anything. Having Dixie changed all of that. On even the very darkest, hardest days, Dixie needed me. I was responsible for not only my own life, but for the life of a living being that I loved desperately and who needed me just as much as I needed her. If I didn’t get out of bed to feed and walk her before class, who would? Feeding her reminded me that I needed food too. I was forced to go outside more, which in turn caused me to be more social. I became friends with a lot more dogs and their humans because of her. When I was done with classes for the day, I would rush back to my dorm, but now it wasn’t to go back to bed; it was to see Dixie. She constantly reminded me that I was loved, important, and needed. Whether I was gone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, she always greeted me with so much enthusiasm that I couldn’t not smile. Her happiness was contagious. When the depression and anxiety caused my stress levels to rise to extreme levels, she was able to bring me back down and stay calm. Her presence alone alleviated many negative effects that the depression and anxiety caused.

I have been on a lot of different medications for my mental illness. If you told me when I was diagnosed that the best pill would have been covered in fur, I would have called you crazy.

For more cute pictures of Dixie, search #dixiethecollegedoggy on Instagram.