The Power of Your Presence

The Power of Your Presence

"Never underestimate the power of your presence…"

77
The Power of Your Presence
Maddie Anderson

I once heard these words from a very wise man and they have stuck with me though today. It’s a very simple and concise statement, but one that holds with it a great amount of truth. We all live in a very overwhelming world, one so full of various kinds of people and ideas. All these different kinds of people and ideas are what make this world so diverse, and that’s a good thing. What often happens though, is that we see and experience all of these ideas and issues of our world and we think to ourselves “There’s nothing that I can do or contribute to.” This thought process could not be less true.

Each one of us has the potential to contribute a million new ideas for the world to discover, and another million ways to go about finding a solution to each and every problem that we see. And with over seven billion people currently residing on this planet, if you ask me, that’s a lot of ideas. The key here is that although there are many of us, we are all still unique individuals with a greater purpose. We can all still forge a path to a new discovery or a solution to a major problem. The other important factor to remember is that we cannot do it alone. Once we realize what it is that we can or want to contribute to the world (hopefully something for the greater good), we must find both encouragement and support from others. Although the thought of seven billion other people with ideas or passions is overwhelming, it can also be a blessing – think of all the people who could support you!

Have you ever been really passionate about something? Have you seen an issue and wanted to find a way to fix it? Or have you had an incessant urge to somehow make a difference in the world? You may just be one person, but there’s also nothing you can’t do. With enough effort, hard work, and support, you can truly do whatever you set your heart to. You can be the change you want to see in the world.

One problem that arises from so many people wanting to fight or fix an issue or change something is that they develop their own agenda or prejudice and do not seek the support of others. Change may be able to start with you, but it cannot end with you.

Another problem is that people see that others are already doing something about an issue at hand, so they feel there is no way for them to help out or adequately contribute. This misconception alone is what disables many issues from ever being resolved, or true change from ever occurring. Therefore, we must never underestimate the power of what we can do. We must never underestimate the power of our presence. Yes, just our presence alone can make all the difference. Simply showing up shows that you care. It’s the first step in doing what you can for the change that you want in the world.

By making our presence known it is then that we can make our voice heard. Society has is backwards – your voice being heard should not cause for your presence to be known, but it should be the other way around. When our voice is what causes our presence to be known, it is often because we are not speaking in a respectful manner. By allowing others to first be made aware of our physical presence, it is then that we can open our voices and respectfully proclaim whatever message we are trying to convey.

I have been a part of several peaceful protests for issues that I am passionate about. It was I, along with hundreds of thousands of other peaceful men and women, that walked the Mall streets of Washington D.C. making our presence known and then our voices heard. We walked by the Capital Building and the Supreme Court, and although the members of our government could not physically hear us from inside the buildings, they could physically see us and the signs we held and the massive amount of support we had in numbers. I may have been just one out of hundreds of thousands of people in that peaceful protest, but I still knew that I was a part of something greater than myself –my presence is what made a difference.

We have seen how the power of our presence and actions can make a difference both in our country and our world, especially as of late. So long as we keep showing up and taking a stand, we as a united people for a common purpose, truly do have the power to overcome and accomplish absolutely anything.