The Poetics Of Summer

The Poetics Of Summer

10 beautiful little things I associate with the sunny season

21
The Poetics Of Summer
m-e-r-m-a-i-d-c-h-i-l-d

Listen, before I get into this article, you should know that I’m totally an autumn person. It seems only fair that, before I tell you all about how cool summer is, I should disclaim that it’s not even my favorite season. In fact, there were years when I actually detested everything about summer (other than having a break from school, of course). For several years, it seemed as though summer was simply the season when it was constantly 100 degrees outside, when it was tough to find things to wear that were both modest and cool and when teenagers had all the more opportunity to go out at night and do dumb things that I would never approve of. I had to be somewhat reawakened to the beauty of summer which I had previously ignored before I could appreciate it.

After said “reawakening,” I immediately began to notice all the beautiful little things about summer I had been ignoring before. There evolved a never-ending list in my head of all these images and smells and sounds that I fondly associated with summer, and I was adding to it constantly. Maybe I'm more inclined to the idea of making this list because I think solely in two modes: poems and lists. But I feel as though everyone should take notice of all the beautiful little things they associate with a time or place. It's part of understanding and appreciating one's relation to his or her surroundings. Thus, at this present time, I felt it was necessary to share this list with you. There are hundreds of little things that remind me of Summer, but these are the most important and prominent ones I could think of that I hope you'll be able to relate to. This is what I like to call the poetics of summer, as seen through my eyes.

1. Camping

I took my first camping trip at the ripe old age of 6 days old. My family and church have a tradition of going camping at Big Sur, California every summer, and my mother wasn’t about to let my birth get in the way of our annual camping trip. Big Sur quickly became my second home, and I grew to know it like the back of my hand. Camping is such a vital part of summer from hiking to river-walking to tree-climbing to marshmallow-roasting. I have very distinct memories of the rich smell of redwoods and the smoky smell of campfires; the sound of the river rushing over rocks and of the crunch of leaves under my feet. It's lovely. I could go on for another 1000 words just about Big Sur because I treasure it so dearly. I directly associate this all with summer; I couldn’t imagine a summer without it.

2. Jellyfish

I live near to one of the best aquariums in the country, if not the world. It’s really nice place. It seems like we always find some excuse to go there at least once a summer, and I’m thankful for what a great establishment it is every year. A particular favorite of mine to see at this aquarium, however, are the jellyfish. If you’ve never seen a live jellyfish in person, I seriously suggest you do so. They possess a watercolor beauty that’s unlike any other plant or animal I know of. They’re mesmerizingly peaceful creatures, and it’s a real honor to witness their chromatic splendor. It was the first time that I saw jellyfish here at this aquarium that I discovered they were my favorite animals. I could stand and watch them for hours (in fact, I have), and I deeply associate my love for them with summer.

3. Sun-kissed skin

“Sun-kissed skin” might just sound like a cute way of saying “sunburned,” and it is. But that’s not all it means. I don’t know if this is just a Californian thing, but it’s real nonetheless. There’s a very distinct way one feels after they’ve been in the sun for hours (even if they were wearing sunscreen) that consists of hot, dry skin and a drowsy, sleepy sort of composure. “Sun-kissed” is actually just such an accurate way to describe this feeling because you just generally feel like you were embraced by the sun and it left you with pink skin and droopy eyelids. Every year, when Spring has just barely ended and it’s beginning to be summer, there will be a pretty cool breeze on a sunny day, and I’ll just go outside and lay down on the ground in the sun. In fact, as a kid, I used to do this so much that I genuinely thought I was part cat in some aspect because these naps were honestly a whole lot like cat naps. I would lay on the concrete in the sun for hours, just letting the warmth fill my pores. I would eventually fall into some dreamy, sleepy state of sun-kissed bliss. Needless to say, I was a very tan child who didn't always wear enough sunscreen. Again, maybe it’s just a Californian thing, but I always saw it as an honor to have the sun leave its mark on me after I had spent hours in its presence.

4. Black, high-top Converse

Now, to be clear, I definitely wear Converse year-round, but they’re practically a necessity during the summer. They’re classic and perfect for so many occasions. I’m sure I’ve walked about a hundred miles in places all over the world in my Chuck Taylor’s, including Mexico, Honduras and South Africa. I’ve actually consistently worn Converse ever since I got my first pair when I was about 6, and they’re now a part of me. Climb trees in Converse. Ride bikes in Converse. Dance in Converse. Walk around town in Converse. Just… wear Converse, okay? I know I probably sound like their poster-girl, but honestly, I could be. They’re an integral part of my summer.

5. The song “Wildfire” by John Mayer

I don’t have much to say about this song other than the fact that this song is pure summer. John Mayer already has a beachy, acoustic vibe going for him, but this song takes the cake. If summer were magically turned into a set of notes and chords, it would be this song. It’s just that good. Allow summer to fill your ears.

6. The smell of campfires and bonfires

Some people think this is weird of me, but I absolutely love when the smell of campfire gets stuck in your clothes and you smell like campfire for the next two days. I have fond memories of going camping and sitting by the campfire for the last few hours before bed, then crawling into my cozy sleeping bag and inhaling the smell of campfire in my sweatshirt because it made me feel safe and happy. It might be cheesy, but I associate so many good times with this smell and have loved it ever since I was a young 'un.

7. Stargazing

This one is pretty popular, I know. And that’s a good thing because stargazing is so important. For as long as I can remember, my family has always picked a few nights out of the summer to bring air mattresses and sleeping bags outside to watch the stars dazzle and fall throughout the sky. We live in a somewhat rural area which allows us to see the stars pretty well, but the sky was always more vibrantly star-filled when we went camping at Big Sur and looked up at it from our Redwood forest dwellings. I strongly believe that looking at the dark blue, white-speckled orb which we call the night sky is good for the soul. If you haven’t yet spent time admiring the sky’s grandeur in a place where you can actually see the stars clearly (AKA away from the city), you need to. Trust me. It's literally stellar.

8. Strawberries. And lots of them.

During the summer, I eat a ridiculous amount of strawberries. The strawberries we grow here in California are absolutely delicious, and my mother has always spoiled me with buying dozens of them from the street vendors around town (who notoriously always have the best strawberries). We eat them every way possible, including fruit salad, chocolate-covered, or sometimes I just shove as many whole strawberries as I can into my mouth. I’m honestly a monster when it comes to strawberries. They’re one of my absolute favorite things to eat, and their ripe, red presence always reminds me of summer. Strawberries are one of the simplest essential joys in life.

9. Amusement parks

Going to some sort of fair, carnival, or amusement park is pretty stereotypically summer-ish, but it’s something I associate with summer nonetheless. In my extremely privileged ways, I don’t think I’ve ever suffered a summer without some sort of amusement park, and I hope I never have to. There’s something about the lights of a ferris wheel that just scream summer to me. I have wonderful memories of getting off of an exhilarating ride with twinkling lights all over it and spinning through the summer night air with glee and excitement. It’s just truly magical.

10. Sunflowers

I guess a lot of people generally associate the presence of sunflowers with summer. However, there’s a particular patch of sunflowers on the side of the road, down the street from me that I always look forward to seeing bloom. They bloom slowly at first, and then BAM, they’re all in full bloom, bursting with glorious, golden splendor. The sun sets just above where they're growing, and it's a beautiful little scene. And the second they’re all in full bloom, I know for sure that summer is here. That little patch of sunflowers will always remain one of my fondest memories of summer.

These are 10 beautiful little things that I associate with summer, and they're dear to my heart. I think taking note of the beauty and goodness in one's life, especially in a specific time or place, is so important. Making lists and writing poems may be things that I enjoy simply because they come naturally to my way of thinking. However, everyone's life is a beautiful poem, not just the lives of poets. So find the poetics of your summer, and appreciate the good in them.