The Perks Of Being A Hilltopper

The Perks Of Being A Hilltopper

A reminder of why our university is the best.

222
The Perks Of Being A Hilltopper
TEDx

Before I start this, I would like to give total name credit to the lovely Joanna Ariola and her orientation group—that's one good name.

Anyway

If you're reading this, you're most likely a Hilltopper at St. Edward's University—go you! Our school is awesome. And while you and I both know this, I think it would be fun to relish in our small, goat-loving university glory.

1. The Community.

Being at a small university like St. Ed's comes with the amazing perk of such a wonderful tight-knit community. You're pretty much guaranteed to know at least five people every time you walk to class. St. Ed's has fostered an environment of acceptance and welcoming, so no matter who you are, how you dress or how you express yourself, the St. Ed's community welcomes you with open arms.

2. Small Campus.

It's fun to watch the reactions of my state school friends when I tell them that I can wake up seven minutes before class and still make it on time. Since most buildings are close by, it's wonderful to maximize precious sleep lost from the night before. You can pretty much walk the whole campus in less than 30 minutes and it's amazing.

3. Being on a Hill.

The location of St. Ed's itself makes college life so unique in comparison to other universities. Us being located on our hill takes away from the hustle and bustle of the Austin city life. Campus is a peaceful and safe place to be. However, if you're ready for some Austin adventure just step right on to South Congress Avenue and you're ready to take on the town.

4. The Views.

The Red Doors, the view from the Red Doors, Fleck bathrooms, the library—you name it, St. Ed's is full of beautiful views. It makes sunny afternoons all the more enjoyable while perusing through campus with pretty dangling branches with bright green leaves.

5. Jo's!

No matter what other universities have, they will never have our Jo's. Not only are Turbos the best, along with the pumpkin bread and muffins, the baristas make the experience even more memorable. Jo's is the home for Topper Radio, Open Mic Night and other fantastic events. The Jo's atmosphere is eclectic, new and fresh—making it both the best study and hang out spot.

6. Goat Puns and Goat Love.

If you're like me and love puns, you love St. Ed's just that much more. If you've ever gone through an SEU orientation, you'll remember how punny those orientation names were (which is precisely where I got the inspiration for this title). As a Hilltopper, you soon realize the hidden, deep-rooted love for baby goats. Goat memes, goat gifs, goats in sweaters—you can't help but feel a sense of Hilltopper pride when you see one.

7. Events.

St. Ed's is a host to a variety of on campus events that are loads of fun. From Hillfest to the End of the Year Party, SEU knows what's up with it's selection of food trucks and live music. The only thing that gets SEU students through finals in the spring and fall is destress fest with adorable baby animals (including baby goats—ah!), massage and coloring book stations. From small, random pop-up picnics to Casino Night during Homecoming, SEU knows how to make it's community feel at home on the Hilltop.

8. Opportunity.

Returning to community, it's this small environment that allows its students to thrive with on-campus opportunities. From Campus Ministry to Student Life, there is pretty much every type of club for SEU to thrive and develop in.

9. A Liberal Arts Education.

The core curriculum for St. Ed's students allows each Hilltopper to learn and develop in a more culturally aware and open-minded manner. In turn, this allows every student to leave St. Ed's with a well-balanced education, creating successful students in all fields.

10. Hilltopper Pride.

The university pride at SEU is contagious. You pretty much bleed blue and gold. You're willing to use all of your Topper Tender on overly priced merch from the bookstore. You're proud to be a liberal arts educated student, a Holy Cross kid—a St. Edward's University Hilltopper.