The Pale Girl's Summer Survival Guide

The Pale Girl's Summer Survival Guide

Tips and tricks to loving your fair skin this summer

92
The Pale Girl's Summer Survival Guide
The Pool

Summer is here and your porcelain skin could use a pep talk. With so much of our culture equating women’s beauty on gorgeously, darkly tanned skin, it is easy to hate on our snow-white tone. Keep in mind that your complexion is beautiful and unique to you. Here are some tips and tricks to loving your fair skin this summer:

1. Be a savior to your skin with sunscreen.

Girl, you proudly pick up that SPF 50 at the store because we both know you’re going to need it…and that’s ok! I’d rather keep my fresh shade of white than look like a tomato the rest of the summer because my skin isn’t getting enough sun protection.

2. Be bold, without the scold.

You do not need to rely on a tan this summer to be a jaw dropper. Instead of secluding your skin to harmful rays from the sun or tanning bed, try playing up your other features. Go on Pinterest, look up unique summer hairstyles, and go from there!

3. Be aware of the sun.

The summer sun can be a tricky fella and we don’t have time to play his games. Remember to carry sunscreen on you and to reapply when necessary. When the sun is as strong as it is in the summer, it's possible that our sensitive skin can burn from just driving in our car or being outside on a cloudy day.

4. Be a magician with makeup.

Really craving a darker look? Enter your new best friend: bronzer. When used correctly, bronzer can help give you a darker look this summer without suffering at your skins expense. Another summer makeup hack: freshen up your skin without the damage by trying different makeup looks! Highlighter can mimic a summer glow, while some blush can give you a sun-kissed look.

5. Be an advocate for your own skin.

I’m sure you’ve heard someone tell you to, “just go get some sun!” Well, you know what, YOU get to be the advocate of your own skin and how you treat it. So maybe you don’t have the same baked look as your friends this summer, but your skin will kindly thank you in the future. From clearer skin to fewer wrinkles, it’s ok to stay under your shaded umbrella while lounging on the beach this summer.

6. Be aware of self-tanners.

If you truly want a darker look this summer, go for it! The healthiest alternative from makeup is self-tanner. I suggest researching different brands and finding the best match for you. Start slow by trying a small area of your skin, and remember less is more. Applying too much self-tanner can take you from sunkissed to oompaloompa way too fast.

7. Be a smart beach goer.

It's summer and most people love enjoying the beach, but this may not be the case for us with Olaf-white skin. Your complexion doesn’t have to ruin your summer plans, just prepare to be a smart beach goer! The best times to hit the shore will be in the morning or later in the evening. These times will allow you to stay out of the hard-hitting afternoon rays that could damage your skin. Bonus: these are the times beaches are less crowded!

8. Be beautiful by being you.

The best way of getting through the summer with fair skin is to embrace the skin you were given! There are many health benefits in staying out of the sun when necessary, but the best of all is building your own self-confidence and loving your body as it is.