What Its Like To Be The Oldest Sibling

What Its Like To Be The Oldest Sibling

It's not all fun and games being the oldest.

457
What Its Like To Be The Oldest Sibling
Jay Malone

Being the oldest sibling brings with it many good and bad moments. Sometimes, you take for granted the fact that you are the oldest, no matter how many brothers and sisters you have. No matter if you're minutes, hours, or years older than your siblings, you still somehow end up with a parental attitude and are always on everyone to make sure they are doing alright, even if they aren't part of your family.

The first child is usually the guinea pig of the kids, although no parent will probably ever admit that out loud. Since you are the guinea pig of the family, any bar for expectations is set with you. As a result, your parents expect a lot from you-- which isn't really a bad thing because it just motivates you. However, it also means that there is no room for messing up and when you do you never hear the end of it.

Also, the oldest child has probably spoken the words "how come I never got to do that?" more than a million times whenever a younger sibling gets to stay out later or go out with friends more than you ever did. However, you've never received a complete answer. You usually get something like "because I said they can," which, to me, is not a real answer.

As the older child, you are like a third parent to your younger siblings because you're always looking out for them and making sure they don't do anything dumb, no matter how much they can aggravate you. Plus, you are so overprotective and half of the time you don't even notice you're doing it.

Your younger siblings can pretty much get away with anything under the sun, but, if you did that when you were their age, you'd be dead meat. But, even when your sibling screws up, your parents find some way to explain it away.

There are things about being the older sibling that you wouldn't trade for the world. Like always having someone to share your wisdom and funny stories with and being able to help your sibling be better at things than you. Overall, being the oldest child has its ups and downs, but you still secretly love it.