The Greatest F-86 Sabre Flying Ace

The Greatest F-86 Sabre Flying Ace

During Pakistan-India War of 1965, Alam downed five fighter aircrafts in less than a minute, the last four within 30 seconds.

78
The Greatest F-86 Sabre Flying Ace
The Express Tribune Pakistan

Born on 6th of July 1935, Air Commodore (US O-7) Muhammad Mehmood Alam was a Pakistani fighter pilot and F-86 Sabre Flying Ace. He was the first person from his family to join military. In fact he joined Pakistan Air Force in 1952 against his father's will. Squadron Leader (US O-4) Alam soon became the Commander of No 11 Squadron because of his notable leadership skills. Besides being a great leader, he was a highly experienced pilot who excelled in gunnery; a skill that paid him well.

Alam is best known for his valuable contribution during Pakistan-India War of 1965. He was awarded the BAR medal and the Sitara-e-Jurat ("The star of courage"), a Pakistani military decoration, for his heroic actions during the war. In earning his decorations, Alam downed five fighter aircrafts in less than a minute, the last four within 30 seconds, establishing a world record. In his words, after flying successful mission against Indian Air Force on 6th of September, Alam and his wingman were ordered to patrol over Sargodha Air Base for potential intruders. It was during this mission when he spotted an Indian Hawker Hunter in a low level flight. He decided to take it down with his AIM-9 Sidewinder missile but failed because of low altitude. He was however efficacious the second time. Following his enemy’s flight path, he spotted four more Indian Hawker Hunters. To his advantage, confused Indian pilots turned in the same direction when they realized they were being chased. Alam dove after them without any hesitation and successfully hunted them all using his exceptional gunnery skills . Alam flew a total of 40 missions in 17 days of war and downed 9 enemy planes.

He also served as squadron commander of first squadron of Mirage III fighters and No. 26 Squadron before retiring as an Air Commodore in 1982. He died a natural death on 18th of March in 2013 in Karachi. He is looked up to as an inspirational figure and a role model by members of the Pakistan Air Force. Today, his name tops the list in hall of fame at the PAF Museum in Karachi. There is also a major commercial street in Lahore named after him. To pay tribute to his service, Pakistan Air Force recently installed his statute at the PAF Academy in Risalpur. His flying record is unbroken to this date.