The Moment You Decide to Love Yourself

The Moment You Decide to Love Yourself

Self love is the best kind of love

397
The Moment You Decide to Love Yourself
Alexandra's Sunset Photography

It's no secret that an individual's life is filled with ups and downs, highs and lows. Avoiding them isn't a choice, but you can choose how to deal with them. One of my favorite sayings of all time goes something like this, "you have to live in your head for your whole life, make sure it's a nice place to be."

I think the scariest and hardest things to do in this world is to accept and love yourself for who you truly are. In today's society, and especially the media, we are constantly bombarded with images and ideas of how we are suppose to portray ourselves. We are told to have the perfect body and hair, have the coolest friends, go to the best school and so much more. Because of all these things it is easy to lose sight of who you truly are.

We aren't taught self love in school and usually we aren't taught it at home either. It's something you have to teach yourself. Through trial and error but I promise you the moment you decide to love yourself will be the greatest moment of your
life. Because of this moment, you'll learn it's okay to put yourself first and not worry about what others are doing or thinking. It’s about knowing what's best for you and treating yourself the way you deserve to be because you know what's best for you.

When you finally decide to love yourself, nothing can stop you. You can wear what you want and rock it. Speak up for what you believe in without having a single doubt in what you are saying. because every moment from this moment on is focused on you and only you.

Self love is a type of love you can't get from anyone else. You can't rely on your significant other or anyone for that matter to love you. Self love is defined as, “regard for one’s own well being and happiness.” Loving yourself starts with your head and ends in your toes. Not only will you love yourself, but you will reflect that out onto others around you.

So I encourage you to practice self love. When you get up in the morning and you look in the mirror at your awesome self, I challenge you to think of three things you love about yourself and say them out loud. Treat your body with kindness because it's the only one you get. Surround yourself with the people who make you the happiest and never make you feel like you're less. Stop comparing yourself to other people because let's be honest here, you're right. You are never going to look like that supermodel on page 32 of Vogue because you aren't them. You are you, and that is more than enough. Practice letting go of things. Start with the small stuff, and work your way up. As soon as you cut the toxic out of your life, the happier you will be. And, if you're looking for an extra self love booster, do something you know you're good at and love to do, like cooking or riding a bike. It'll only make you happier in the long run.

So remember, when you wake up and when you go to sleep to love yourself, because self love is the best kind of love.