The Role Of The Church

The Role Of The Church

Backing liturgy with the Bible.
22

Being a Catholic denomination Christian, many of my other Christian friends and I have different opinions on some things in the Bible. These differences come into play when people personally interpret things in the Bible themselves rather than sticking to what a church believes. When treating liturgy as a supplement to the Bible, rather than the sole home of the Bible, there is no Christianity. Christianity would just be whatever each individual personally interprets in the Bible. When everyone interprets the Bible differently without the church and liturgy to back it up, there is no uniform set of beliefs and morals - every Christian would have a different perspective and things that Christians should generally have the same perspective on. Keeping liturgy at the Bible’s core does not deny the authority of the Bible; it reminds us that the life of the church is ongoing.

I’m not saying we should believe everything the church and liturgy says blindly, we should always be skeptical about what is being preached because it should still be in line with the Bible. If I always follow the church without being skeptical, and then if the church were to tell me to jump off a bridge or something crazy I would, and that is dangerous; that’s where having an individual relationship with Jesus Christ comes in. It is important to keep an open mind and be skeptical about everything the church says and make sure that it is in line with the Bible and in line with God. However, if liturgy and the church are not treated as the Bible’s home, then there is not absolute truth in Christianity and everyone would have a different interpretation of what Christianity really is. This is also why focusing on Christianity, as a whole, is more important than solely focusing on the New Testament or a specific chapter or section.

If we accept other’s interpretations without the liturgy of the church, then the same thing could happen; someone’s interpretation would be seen as true, even if it were completely out of line with the Bible. It would be hard for me to not believe something that a modern speaker interpreted after reading the Bible in comparison to church liturgy that has been in place for thousands of years. For this reason, it is important to back liturgy with the Bible, not back the Bible with liturgy.